Air filter

Remove the Torx screws (Circled in white) that are in the top cover of the air fliter. Lift it off enough to get it out, replace with a new one and refit the cover. 

Always worth a look inside for any small leaves and bits, typically i just vacuum them out if there is any. 

Hopefully this is of some help to you. 

IMG_20190530_214702.jpg

Is your car petrol or diesel? 

The two Rapids i do work on, one being my own which is petrol and the other persons a diesel, both as far as i can remember, have the style of airbox i pictured (I could be wrong here). 

Tomorrow, if possible, pop the bonnet up on your car and take a few photos of the airbox as i have never seen this shape of filter before. 

the air filter looks like the same shape as the filter. Its just those two circle cutouts in the filter that I believe its not an easy part to fit. 

IMG_20190603_174553.jpg

IMG_20190603_174606.jpg

IMG_20190603_174542.jpg

Just from observation of the airbox, unclip the clips along the front and the one on the rear (Which i can see, there maybe more) it should lift up from here. 

Pick the old filter our and pop the new one in. There arent screws holding the filter in place, those appear to be for locating the filter correctly in the airbox. 

Edited by 1Rapid
Spelling mistake

• 4 years later...

Hello all

First post on the forum, I'm planning to do some servicing on my Spaceback 1.2.

Has anyone opened this box by releasing only the four clips (there are another two on the back)? 

I've seen a video online (for a 2017 model, mine is 2016) that says the whole box has to be removed in order to access two screws on the bottom that secure the top part of the box. Apparently that box is secured to the engine assembly with three ball clips and the unit should lift off once the hoses and a pipe are disconnected. Mine won't budge at all and I can't find, and maybe shouldn't use, any levering points. I don't want to go too hard on it without confirmation that it needs to be done.

Loosening the pictured clips it does feel like something else is holding the lid on.

I'm a bit stuck. Sorry for the essay, any guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks toot, really helpful. Sorry to say that I'd seen both but you pointing to the second one made me read it a bit more carefully 😬 it looks like the three ball clip fastening is the one so I'll put some more effort into prising it off 👍

Just confirming that you do need to remove the entire filter housing as described in the 3rd post in the thread below. Don't try to just unclip and pull the top off because the housing is indeed held together by those four clips and two screws that can only be accessed from below. 

The ball clips on mine were a struggle but start off with the bottom left and give it a good yank. The small hose at the back wouldn't budge so I just flipped the unit over without disconnecting.