The obligatory 'Hello' ;-)

Hi everyone,

Been a lurker for years but finally registered.

I currently have a 2009 Octavia Scout, bough recently as a replacement as a replacement for my 2001 Octavia estate that has a turbo issue I need to resolve.  The old car still runs reliably but is pretty powerless and so not good as a trailer towing workhorse. Having put 240,000 hard working miles on it from new I am not surprised it is a little tired.

The younger Scout will be similarly worked hard and, with 130,000 miles on the clock, should give me a few more years service,

Back in the 90s I used to have an old 120 Estelle, and a Rapid, and they were run into the ground as motorway cruisers. Wish I had kept them now.

Anyway, Hello!

Cheers, I found the forum back in 2011 after the clutch pedal fell apart on the Octy 1.

I was on holiday with my then girlfriend of a few months, Sue, visiting my God daughter and her family. With everyone in the car for a day out the clutch pedal 'popped' and broke.

I managed to keep driving without the clutch until I could pull over somewhere safe to inspect it. Once I know what was wrong I found a Halfords and bought some tools and a load of hose clamps. I made a temporary repair at the road side using the hose clamps (they were rubbish) and wiper blade spring wire. While I was upside down in the foot well, Sue was playing with the hose clips and found one that fitted on her finger so she put it on and showed me. That was when she decided I was a 'keeper' as I would calmly just solve the 'problem' with random stuff and get us all home safely.

She proposed in 2012 and we married two years later. Good thing these Skodas!

The repair held out for the rest of the holiday, and about 350 miles of driving, until we got home. I then found the clutch pedal fix on the forum and did a belt and braces weldup that has held ever since.

Sue was equally impressed when the battery died a couple of years ago at the allotment and I found a way to 'wind the car' up a slope to park it out of the way of the access gate. Sue held the brake between 'winds' to stop the car rolling back down.

DSC01613.JPG

DSC01614.JPG

20160209_120136.jpg

Ha Ha Ha , well done M o T , welcome to you and your family to Briskoda  . B)

My wife often say's  i'm a tool she has not found a use for . ;)

Edited by JED

• 1 month later...
On 03/06/2019 at 09:04, Oldmansomerset said:

A warm welcome to the Forum !  Your story reminds me of the scene in 'Ice Cold in Alex' when they use the starting handle to wind an ambulance up a massive sand dune.  Very old film, 1958 I think but well made.  

Ahh, yes, one of my all time favourite films.

It is what gave me the idea.

8 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

35 days to reply must be a Briskoda record.:D

Haha, sorry, I've been busy. Mostly work, but also learning Welsh! :blush

I'm not even tweeting as much as I usually do and twitter is logged in all the time!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Maker_of_Things said:

Haha, sorry, I've been busy. Mostly work, but also learning Welsh! :blush

I'm not even tweeting as much as I usually do and twitter is logged in all the time!

Lechyd da. I taught this praise to a Dominican Republic waiter on our recent holiday because he kept saying "Salut" in Spanish.:D

Just now, Maker_of_Things said:

I have got as far as:

Bore da! Dw i hoffi te, dim llaeth. Dw i trydanwr a mecanic (and a cabinet maker).

I only picked up cheers and slow because they paint it on all the roads as you approach a corner. Is Bore da thank you?:nerd: