Sat Nav arrival time settings

Stubod

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is any way to adjust the "speed" settings on the Sat Nav. ie the "arrival time" shown when I first crank up the satnav is always very optimistic.

I assume the Sat nav thinks that you can drive at the maximum speed limits for the entire journey. So just wondering if there are any settings that allow you to change the anticipated speed of travel?

Many thanks,

My experience is quite different!  I have had a number of standalone SatNavs down the years  (but never a built-in one) and have always been astonished at how accurate the arrival times have been.  I always observe speed limits,  and often drive on long journeys at below the maximum  (say 65mph on motorways) as this is more relaxing and economical,  but I still seem to arrive within a very few minutes of "Gladys's" initial estimate.

• Like 1

I don't have satnav in my current Yeti and so on the rare occasion I need help, I use WAZE on my iPhone. Last time I used it was to pick up my cousin from Manchester airport just at the end of the morning rush hour. It took me on a route I would never have thought of but the arrival time was spot on to within a couple of minutes. The continuous reaction to changing traffic conditions works well.

I don't think a satnav can accurately predict an arrival time at the start of a journey as it can't anticipate the changing conditions you'll meet along the way. I suppose they start with a best case estimate, then adjust along the route. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PeterKn said:

I suppose they start with a best case estimate, then adjust along the route. 

That's the point I was making about WAZE as compared to my last inbuilt satnav. It starts out 'knowing' the current conditions and chooses the best route for those conditions. It updates itself continuously as you're driving along even warning of hazards/accidents that have only just happened and makes changes to suit automatically.

With my first YETI which did have satnav I used to find myself apparently driving through a field or I'd come to a junction, roundabout or whatever which wasn't shown at all. That was just a few months after I had taken delivery of it from new. The maps were the most recent at the time so I was told 😕.

22 hours ago, Stubod said:

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is any way to adjust the "speed" settings on the Sat Nav. ie the "arrival time" shown when I first crank up the satnav is always very optimistic.

A lot would depend on the actual unit you have.

13 hours ago, longedge said:

That's the point I was making about WAZE as compared to my last inbuilt satnav. It starts out 'knowing' the current conditions and chooses the best route for those conditions. It updates itself continuously as you're driving along even warning of hazards/accidents that have only just happened and makes changes to suit automatically.

With my first YETI which did have satnav I used to find myself apparently driving through a field or I'd come to a junction, roundabout or whatever which wasn't shown at all. That was just a few months after I had taken delivery of it from new. The maps were the most recent at the time so I was told 😕.

I did try Waze on one journey but as I live in an area with non existant or patchy phone signal it didn't work for me. So I just settle for the built in, with all its faults as it works everywhere.