Skoda superb 280 hk turbo pressure?

11 minutes ago, GnurkeGnurk said:

Nice thx dident find that anyplace. Do you know what the limit for the turbo is? 

I can't find an exact spec.  I believe the CJXA/B EA888 units use an IHI20 turbo.  A quick google suggests that tuners are 'safely' raising the boost pressure to 28Psi.  Though how safe that is would obviously depend on the the turbo limits (and other ancillaries) 

@newbie69 may know this as his dealings with Berger MS may have thrown up this info (?)

20 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I can't find an exact spec.  I believe the CJXA/B EA888 units use an IHI20 turbo.  A quick google suggests that tuners are 'safely' raising the boost pressure to 28Psi.  Though how safe that is would obviously depend on the the turbo limits (and other ancillaries) 

@newbie69 may know this as his dealings with Berger MS may have thrown up this info (?)

The IS20 is found on the lower output CHH engines of the Golf GTI and Octavia vRS (230/245bhp).

The CJX engines found on the Golf R, Audi S3, Skoda Superb 280 etc. use the larger IS38 IHI turbo. These work @1.2bar stock (measured in 4th gear) and most stage 1 maps raise this to around 1.6-1.65bar. Stage 2 pushes this a little bit more, closer to 1.8. You wouldn't want to go much above that on a stock turbo for long periods unless you were looking for an excuse to blow it up and go big :tongueout:

Also, (just in case) don't directly compare values with US cars (they are usually pushing a bit more boost than EU equivalents) as they have different mapping from factory and no multi point injection (well the newer EU cars don't have it either anymore).

@GnurkeGnurk  How come you ask about boost though? Working with some tuning box or? Off-the-shelf maps have the boost set to reasonable limits anyway.

Edited by newbie69
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

The IS20 is found on the lower output CHH engines of the Golf GTI and Octavia vRS (230/245bhp).

The CJX engines found on the Golf R, Audi S3, Skoda Superb 280 etc. use the larger IS38 IHI turbo. These work @1.2bar stock (measured in 4th gear) and most stage 1 maps raise this to around 1.6-1.65bar. Stage 2 pushes this a little bit more, closer to 1.8. You wouldn't want to go much above that on a stock turbo for long periods unless you were looking for an excuse to blow it up and go big :tongueout:

Also, (just in case) don't directly compare values with US cars (they are usually pushing a bit more boost than EU equivalents) as they have different mapping from factory and no multi point injection (well the newer EU cars don't have it either anymore).

@GnurkeGnurk  How come you ask about boost though? Working with some tuning box or? Off-the-shelf maps have the boost set to reasonable limits anyway.

Nice comment 😍

I allready blown up my turbo orginal. Shaft innside broke in half 🥴

Thats why i am afraid to do anything. 

1 minute ago, GnurkeGnurk said:

Nice comment 😍

I allready blown up my turbo orginal. Shaft innside broke in half 🥴

Thats why i am afraid to do anything. 

Yes that was/is the issue especially with some early batches of IS38 turbos of around 2015, tuned or not wasn't making much of a difference. There are tuned turbos running strong after 4years and 80K km and others that blew stock after 15-20K. Good thing is that when the turbo goes on these cars it almost never does any further engine damage so just throw in a turbo with upgraded shafts and bearings (I wouldn't go back to OEM after this) and you can sleep in peace. A shame really that some cars suffer from these chocolate shafts because the actual engine and peripherals are incredibly strong and can take up to 500bhp with only a few basic peripheral upgrades and no sweating at all.

What year is the car? Was it tuned when the turbo excused itself?

2 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Yes that was/is the issue especially with some early batches of IS38 turbos of around 2015, tuned or not wasn't making much of a difference. There are tuned turbos running strong after 4years and 80K km and others that blew stock after 15-20K. Good thing is that when the turbo goes on these cars it almost never does any further engine damage so just throw in a turbo with upgraded shafts and bearings (I wouldn't go back to OEM after this) and you can sleep in peace. A shame really that some cars suffer from these chocolate shafts because the actual engine and peripherals are incredibly strong and can take up to 500bhp with only a few basic peripheral upgrades and no sweating at all.

What year is the car? Was it tuned when the turbo excused itself?

I got a 2017 model first registerd in april. and i have seen on internett that the last revision of the is38 came in july 2017. have searched a bit on this problem and found out realy fast that it was som problems early on. No not tuned or anything only the thought about it   But the workshop did a realy good jobb. a big bit from the turbin had shoot it sellf through the cat so new cat aswell. whit new intercooler and alot of stuff. they said it was alot of metal dust all over. so my quess is that the shaft was bad balanced and than starting to eat up the walls before the shaft broke in half. Sry for my bad english writing.

Just now, GnurkeGnurk said:

I got a 2017 model first registerd in april. and i have seen on internett that the last revision of the is38 came in july 2017. have searched a bit on this problem and found out realy fast that it was som problems early on. No not tuned or anything only the thought about it   But the workshop did a realy good jobb. a big bit from the turbin had shoot it sellf through the cat so new cat aswell. whit new intercooler and alot of stuff. they said it was alot of metal dust all over. so my quess is that the shaft was bad balanced and than starting to eat up the walls before the shaft broke in half. Sry for my bad english writing.

It was definitely more frequent on earlier cars but even with all these revisions they haven't completely eliminated the issue. There's been reports of newer cars suffering although it's a much much smaller percentage. You were really unlucky, before the Superb I had a MY17 IS38 turbo tuned to around 370bhp with a JB4 box and then a remap and hasn't missed a beat in 3 years so far (now with a different owner).

I don't think it's the balancing so much but the bearings and overall core of some turbos were just not up to the job. That's why all the upgraded hybrids replace those items with proven solutions. Since it was covered by warranty (I understand that right?)  it makes sense to put back an IS38 but If I was paying out of my own pocket I would absolutely throw in an upgraded solid aftermarket turbo, even if I didn't want to be pushing stupid numbers. You could set any of those hybrids at a ridiculously safe 400bhp (that's probably less than 1.5bar even) and not worry about turbo issues ever again.

Tuning your existing IS38 is basically pretty standard. If you still have warranty left and worry about it go with a JB4 box no question. Otherwise out of warranty any of the known tuners for these cars does a good job with the off the self tunes. As it's a IS38 though there's always that small possibility of failing again (tuned or not) although I'd say you must be really really unlucky to get two bad IS38's in a row. But you know...

51 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

It was definitely more frequent on earlier cars but even with all these revisions they haven't completely eliminated the issue. There's been reports of newer cars suffering although it's a much much smaller percentage. You were really unlucky, before the Superb I had a MY17 IS38 turbo tuned to around 370bhp with a JB4 box and then a remap and hasn't missed a beat in 3 years so far (now with a different owner).

I don't think it's the balancing so much but the bearings and overall core of some turbos were just not up to the job. That's why all the upgraded hybrids replace those items with proven solutions. Since it was covered by warranty (I understand that right?)  it makes sense to put back an IS38 but If I was paying out of my own pocket I would absolutely throw in an upgraded solid aftermarket turbo, even if I didn't want to be pushing stupid numbers. You could set any of those hybrids at a ridiculously safe 400bhp (that's probably less than 1.5bar even) and not worry about turbo issues ever again.

Tuning your existing IS38 is basically pretty standard. If you still have warranty left and worry about it go with a JB4 box no question. Otherwise out of warranty any of the known tuners for these cars does a good job with the off the self tunes. As it's a IS38 though there's always that small possibility of failing again (tuned or not) although I'd say you must be really really unlucky to get two bad IS38's in a row. But you know...

Yeah got everything on warranty. yeah you know when it broke on 32,000 km will be a long time afraid that this will happen again. but hoping this was a one-time case.