Problem with shifting gears

Hi, I have a 5 spd manual gearbox in my mk1 Octavia, and I started to notice that sometimes when shifting gears, if I do it slightly faster (under 1-2 seconds) the lever hesitates to go int gear half way in, then I need to push it harder to engage. There are no grinding noises, I felt this with my 1st gear, reverse is even harder a little bit, but since yesterday I am noticing it with 3rd. I am suspecting synchro wear. I adjusted the linkages on the gearbox but it's still the same. I am thinking on changing the gearbox oil but I'm not sure how this would help. The problem is less noticeable when I first start driving, bud when the car gets hot it becomes more notchy and hesitant. It isn't undrivable by any means but it lowkey bothers me. Also a few days ago the clutch pedal was stuck down, maybe 1/3 way from bottom, I had to pull it back up by hand and the car was fine afterwards, this was the first time it happened. I read somewhere that maybe the clutch isnt disengaging all the way, but given that the problem is with 1st, reverse and now 3rd gear I presume all gears would have this problem if it was cause of the clutch? so here are my suspects:

1. Failing synchros

2. Old gearbox oil

3. Problems with the clutch, air in the system maybe? worn clutch material?

If you could help me diagnose this I would be thankful.

What's the mileage? Has the clutch or gearbox oil ever been changed?

The gearbox oil is cheap and easy to change - I would start with that. I changed mine for the first time at just under 190k miles - it made a noticeable difference.

On 23/06/2019 at 18:52, petrolbloke said:

What's the mileage? Has the clutch or gearbox oil ever been changed?

The gearbox oil is cheap and easy to change - I would start with that. I changed mine for the first time at just under 190k miles - it made a noticeable difference.

The clutch is old, as the car has 230K kilometers on the clock and we have it since it had 90K and didn't do the clutch, but it works fine, no slip no unusual behavior, other than that one time the pedal fell to the floor, but since then the car behaves just as before. 

On 24/06/2019 at 11:08, KenONeill said:

@zejdkoco1 - Possible causes (0) - Gear linkage needs adjusted.

I did adjust the linkages, the only way I could do it without lifting the car and that is by undoing those plastic retainer clips on the gearbox itself, putting the gear lever in the locking position, locking the moving arm thing on top of the gearbox, then snapping the retainers back. Are you suggesting checking out the linkages that come out of the gear stick? 

Check that the grease on the gearstick joint hasn't dried out.
Lift the gaiter around the stick and you'll see where the bottom of the stick sits, spray some silicone lubricant around while moving the stick through the gears.
I had the same problem on my first Mk1 VRS years ago, I've just bought another as a run around and sure enough was difficult to sometimes get a smooth gear change, did the lube on the stick  and alls good.

I changed the gearbox oil, got genuine oil from dealers, only cost around 16 quid, made a big difference to the change, really smooth now, and the car has 235000 miles on.