Bird strike - Headlight smashed assume bumper removal...

So driving along in the early hours for my 12 hour shift and a bird failed to fly away despite the use of the brake 😞

So as you can see headlight glass smashed and now the need for a new one.

I assume, going by the many searches that this will require to drop the front bumper to remove the headlight? Further more is just a shell that I buy and transfer the rest over or does the headlights remain in place as I have those "moving" lamps?

Cheers for any help :)

20190623_054119.jpg

Quick google search brought up this:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=42065

When the job is done the headlight beam basic setting will need adjustment once VCDS or similar is used to enter basic setting mode, then the adjustment can be made. Any MOT station will have one, but you will need to enter basic setting once on the tester and recheck once exiting basic settings to make sure it is correct.

Edited by 3T51704x4
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, 3T51704x4 said:

Quick google search brought up this:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=42065 205.98 kB · 1,084 downloads

When the job is done the headlight beam basic setting will need adjustment once VCDS or similar is used to enter basic setting mode, then the adjustment can be made. Any MOT station will have one, but you will need to enter basic setting once on the tester and recheck once exiting basic settings to make sure it is correct.

Did google this morning and many searches came up, mainly for Octavia but you found the nugget of info I needed.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Your headlights are the bi-xenon's, an upgrade on the regular halogens, but more complex (and expensive) as a result.

Assuming it is just the lens that has smashed, then hopefully you can get away with a new headlight, and swap the expensive components over from the old light to the new one, bulb, ballast, ignitor etc.

image.thumb.png.30b9c96b17c9ca209950e8dbbdc2a9a4.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Superb-2008-2013-Xenon-Headlight-LEFT-COMPLETE-RHD-3T2941015E/202711779289?epid=1731129737&hash=item2f329047d9:g:G6kAAOSwoy9dB6WB

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Your headlights are the bi-xenon's, an upgrade on the regular halogens, but more complex (and expensive) as a result.

Assuming it is just the lens that has smashed, then hopefully you can get away with a new headlight, and swap the expensive components over from the old light to the new one, bulb, ballast, ignitor etc.

image.thumb.png.30b9c96b17c9ca209950e8dbbdc2a9a4.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Superb-2008-2013-Xenon-Headlight-LEFT-COMPLETE-RHD-3T2941015E/202711779289?epid=1731129737&hash=item2f329047d9:g:G6kAAOSwoy9dB6WB

Indeed just the plastic lens so hoping just the case and as you say transfer over the gubbins to the new case.

Cheers for the eBay listing again tried to have a look but 12 hours today and back in again in the morning meant not much came up.

Shall Beaver away tomorrow and get this resolved.

Be aware some aftermarket units don’t have the Superb inscription. Someone posted recently that their adaptive lights no longer working.

This link looks like a genuine part so you will be ok, bonus it comes with the driver and adaptive ecu so just the bulbs and xenon envelope to swap.

Would your insurance not cover the cost?

Edited by 3T51704x4
  • Like 1

My thoughts to the insurance route have crossed my mind but the possible increase in premiums at the same time have me looking at the DIY route as long as the headlight is OEM rather than pattern in this case.

• Like 1