Can't open front passenger door

Had annoying rattle in front door. Took off door card and rubber membrane. Suspected the door locking mechanism. Took out two retaining screws from side of door which freed up the door lock. Couldn't find any problem so replaced everything. I closed the door and now I can't open it. The key fob tries to open it but doesn't; pulling the inside door release cable doesn't.  Now I can't get at those two side screws because the door is closed. I'm completely stuck. Anyone got any ideas to get the door open?  

Hi Techie, I press the fob and the vertical rod bobs up and down but I don't hear any mechanism releasing. Can I release the catch from inside the door manually?  I appreciate your help.

On 30/06/2019 at 13:10, mbp said:

Hi Techie, I press the fob and the vertical rod bobs up and down but I don't hear any mechanism releasing. Can I release the catch from inside the door manually?  I appreciate your help.

Ive had this issue on all 4 doors of my octavia over the space of a year. The door loom especially where it passes through the rubber duct gets old and cables crack. Sometimes the cables look ok but are also rotten inside. Re-do the loom or buy a new one and the door will start working perfectly.

Thanks Welsh. The actual unit was working perfectly before I decided to investigate an irritating rattle coming from inside the door around the lock area. I made the mistake of closing the door before checking everything still worked ok: The door is now locked from inside and outside. Pulling on cables does nothing. I need that door open to get at the two side screws. Any ideas how I can release the latching mechanism ?

The only way to do it is to force the door card off. remove the big screws behind the door handles and just pull up as hard as you can. The clips that door card screws into will come off but you can put them back as long as your carefull. in the worst case door card will be damaged and you can get a new one for £20-30 on ebay

Hi Welsh. Perhaps I didn't make it clear: the door card is off; plastic membrane is off; inside door handle is disconnected. Pulling on the cable doesn't release the latch. I could take it to a dealer but I just cannot see how they could open the latch either, unless the locking mechanism can be manipulated manually somehow. There must be a way, surely.  Until I can open the door I can't get the lock out of the door because I can't get at the two screws in the side of the door. Catch 22 scenario!  😞

In that case you should be able to properly connect the loom and open the door as usual? With these old looms they work fine untill you move them (aka disconnect the cable) and then they crack and split and you can't even tell. I did a continuity test from each pin of the door lock connector to the big wiper motor connector and then from there to the door connector. 

If that doesn't work try giving the area underneath the external door handle a good thump while pulling on the handle at the same time.

If that doesn't work theres a few screws on the door lock you can see from inside the door. Undo as many as you can and then just wedge a big flathead screwdriver in and pry it all apart. It will damage the lock but at least you will have an open door that you can fix properly.

Hi Welsh. Had a bit of luck; friend inserted a long bar magnet inside the door as I tried the outside handle. After a some wiggles the door opened. Thank goodness! Now I can get at those two side screws to release the module. Question: Do I need to take the window out or can I just tape the window (in the closed position) to the door and just undo the channel  guide and move it out the way.  Another question: If I remove the the striker plate on the door pillar (so I don't accidentally close the door again), will the plate on the inside of the pillar fall down inside  or does it stay in place?  

When I was taking out my door locks i Kept the window up and loosened the 'scissor' mechanism screws as i needed to wiggle the lock out. Remember to put the door handle cable anchor things exacty where they were as you may end up with a door that doesn lock/unlock properly. The striker plate bolts are threaded into the body so nothing will fall down :)

Hi Welsh: I'm making progress but I need to take off the passenger door handle to release the cable. There are two inspection holes in the side of the door one above the other about an inch apart. I have to insert an allen key, turn it a number of times, and part of the handle will pull out from the outside. My Haynes manual (and YouTube Video's) say this is the top hole (the one in line with the centreline of the handle. On my Mk1 it is the bottom hole that seems to have the screw but it doesn't line up; all I can see through the top hole is part of the plastic handle. I'm confused.