Will primer with lacquer topcoat work?

thebrighton

Howdy,

I've just been doing a small bit of rust removal around my sons Citigo wheelarch and a scrape on the sill. The car is white, code LR9A, but of course the 2 rattle cans sourced from different suppliers both come out slightly cream whilst the car is brilliant white.

So my question is this, the Halfords white primer I've used is a perfect match and I do mean perfect. After sanding down will a few coats of Halfords lacquer be sufficient to protect the primer and stop it yellowing (the lacquer claims to filter out UV rays) or will I need to source another topcoat although Halfords appliance gloss white looks like a possibility.

Cheers

Why not get some paint made up to the exact paint code? Plenty of suppliers available.

I'd highly recommend a proper topcoat, rather than simply putting lacquer over your primer stage. 

I did get it made up to the exact paint code from 2 suppliers, both were creamier than the cars bright white. Being 7 years old I would have expected the white to have dulled and perhaps yellowed a bit which is, maybe, what the suppliers have also anticipated  :sadsmile:

2 suppliers both coming back with a paint difference that noticeable does sound a bit odd! 

And you're sure of the LR9A paint code? Sorry to state the obvious! Was the paint code from the boot floor sticker?

Indeed it was and the sticker in the front of the service book confirms it. I also think the Citigo has only come in this one white. White has always seemed to be the hardest colour to match. I may just go with the Halfords appliance gloss white which is the same formula as their other car paints as it matches.

Get a decent 2 pack clear coat aerosol made up it will dry hard and give the same mecahnical and UV protection as the OE paintwork, i mistakenly thought I had some in stock, I had a metallic base coat made up, perfect match but had to use any old lacquer that I had, polyurethane but probably made for furniture, looked fine initially but is now yellowing and will eventually turn brown.

• Like 1

I had ordered a 3rd can from a company up in Manchester. Delivery was glacial and I think they'd actually forgotten to despatch it when I chased but it arrived today and is a perfect match so 3 cans all supposedly the same but 2 cream and one white. At least it's sorted :)

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke too soon. Now that it's had time to harden off it has quite clearly got a cream tint to it. Should have just gone with the Halfords gloss appliance white :(

The only reason I can guess is that the previous owner has religiously polished the car with a white polish rather than clear which has altered the colour. I suppose I better get sanding again.....