Help with lights and brakes

Hi all,

I'm a new member. I am a proud owner of a 1997 R reg diesel felicia. She's had her bumps and scrapes but, I still love her.

Anyway, I took her for an full service and MOT today at well known, high street garage (only because there is a special, reduced price deal on it). She failed first on drivers' side headlight. They said it was pointing down and it was broken. They wanted over

Don't take a chance with brakes. If one caliper is nacked the other won't be far behind. Just make sure you bleed them correctly. Skoda calipers are cheaper than Kawasaki ones tho - 250£ each!

If it's sticking on, the caliper can sometimes respond well to a good clean out. Our 1.3 was hanging on on the front right last summer. Once the accumulated muck and dust was cleared out and the sliding surfaces cleaned up it was fine. Still fine for the MOT a month or so back. Use a mask and/or clean it outside to be on the safe side.

If it's headlamp alignment that's failed it and it's because the fluid from the adjusters has drained, it's possible to disconnect the adjuster and set the beam without it. Local garage did the 1.3 at MOT that way and my diesel was already done when I bought it. There are good instructions on how to do it yourself somewhere on this site.

If it's sticking on' date=' the caliper can sometimes respond well to a good clean out. Our 1.3 was hanging on on the front right last summer. Once the accumulated muck and dust was cleared out and the sliding surfaces cleaned up it was fine. Still fine for the MOT a month or so back. Use a mask and/or clean it outside to be on the safe side.

If it's headlamp alignment that's failed it and it's because the fluid from the adjusters has drained, it's possible to disconnect the adjuster and set the beam without it. Local garage did the 1.3 at MOT that way and my diesel was already done when I bought it. There are good instructions on how to do it yourself somewhere on this site.[/quote']

Hi Red Studio. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, It's not sticking on., although I'll remember your advice if it does. The blue leaping coveralls bloke said that the brakes failed the MOT test because the brakes were imbalanced (Brakes Failures: RBT Front Brake Imbalance 28%). He did not know whether this was due to the caliper on the right brake or the flexihose.

My good neighbor and I need to take a look at both I guess. I'm waiting for my copy of the Haynes manual to arrive so I can understand a bit more about this flexihose thingy-ma-jig.

Yeah I took your advice and I found:

www.briskoda.net/forums/ask-tech/felicia-1-3-headlight-alignment/39240/?highlight=headlamp+level

I'll try and adjust the old lamp manually using these instructions and see if the spares guy will take the new lamp I ordered yesterday back. If he doesn't at least I'll have a spare!