Android Auto issues

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm posting everything correctly. And no, I can't find the issue I'm having online and I can't find someone with the same issue on this forum so I decided to post.

Let me start by saying this, Apple Car Play works perfectly and there were no hassles with it, however I cannot connect either of my Android phones. The cable doesn't seem to be the issue, I'm using the original one from the box, an older one from a previous Android smartphone, and 2 random aftermarket ones, the results are pretty much identical. So here is my issue, I connect my phone, it charges, and I get the option to connect to Android Auto or Mirror Link. On my previous phone neither worked but I assumed it's just a cheap, incompatible phone and that was the issue. However I now have my Huawei P20 Pro and really wanted to use Android Auto. However, and here is the problem, neither work. I managed to get Mirror Link to open after about 6 tries but then it shows there are no compatible apps. Android auto on the other hand doesn't work at all. The moment I press it, the screen turns black, the phone is disconnected and then connected again, and I'm back at the opening screen. This happens every single time, sometimes the android auto app shows up in the task bar on the phone, sometimes it doesn't. However I have not been able to make Android auto work. What should I look for? Some options in the phone? Maybe the car's system is outdated and I need the dealer to have a look at it? The car is a 2018 and I'm using the standard larger size head-unit. Anyone experienced something similar or has got some tips for me?

Thanks,

Michał

10 hours ago, jonboy77 said:

Do you have Android auto app on your phone?

Hey, yes I do.

8 hours ago, sikejsudjek said:

That first link is one of the first results and I went through it, thanks.

The cable isn't the problem I don't think, my buddy used one of my cables in his car and with his phone and it worked fine.

I have fixed the issue, by uninstalling and installing the app about a thousand times, and now it seems to work, don't know why or how but it does. However I can't open Spotify through it, only Podcasts and Google Play Music.

I am confident it is not the cable. I use Android Auto with a Samsung phone, an ancient Sony and my wife's new Nokia 5.1. All phones work well. My daughter uses a Huawei phone and when we got the Fabia we tried to use AA on her phone with the car. It simply wouldn't work. Research on the interweb reveals that there is an issue with AA and car head units. Google and Huawei know about this and both have been promising fixes for a couple of years and neither seems to have made a breakthrough. Oddly, AA works on my daughter's phone if used a stand-alnoe device - that is not connected to the car but it will not work when connected to the car. I am delighted that you have got your Huawei to work but you must be one of very few Huawei users who have succeeded.

My Honor 9 lite works fine (also Huawei) with android auto and a Fabia 2019. Have never had a problem with connection. I'm running the android pie update with a usb 2.0 anker cable.

Seems like you're problems are software related, but cables can make a difference with usb. For example I also have a Pixel XL phone that will not usb tether properly with a pc unless it has a usb c to usb 2.0 lead. Usb 3 to type c results in frequent connection problems. Some usb leads don't have anything other than charging pins and some are of varying quality with regard to data transfer and interference rejection.

That's very weird, because USB 3.0 should default back to 2.0 if there's any compatability issues. It sounds to me more like there's an issue with the Pixel, the USB cable, or the computer, but I'm presuming that you've tried different cables and ports on the PC!

I'm using a Huawei P20 with the original cable - seems to work fine. It can be temperamental at times - however things improved since the latest Android update. Is your phone fully up-to-date?

My normal process is:

1) Start the car, wait for the infotainment to boot up and settle on the menu screen.

2) Unlock the phone, connect to the car via USB, and select Android Auto on the head unit (if it doesn't automatically boot).

3) Once Android Auto has loaded, switch off the phone screen.

Everything then seems to work fine - however, it will sometimes fall over at random (particularly when dictating a long message). If that happens, the only option is to pull over and reboot the phone - although that doesn't always clear the issue, at which point you have to stop the engine, get out, lock the car (to ensure the infotainment powers off completely) and then start everything from scratch.

I do love Android Auto though - I'll never have another car without it.

16 hours ago, vc-10 said:

That's very weird, because USB 3.0 should default back to 2.0 if there's any compatability issues. It sounds to me more like there's an issue with the Pixel, the USB cable, or the computer, but I'm presuming that you've tried different cables and ports on the PC!

Should, all the cables work, and now everything works on all 2-3 cables I've tested.

14 hours ago, sparckzero said:

I'm using a Huawei P20 with the original cable - seems to work fine. It can be temperamental at times - however things improved since the latest Android update. Is your phone fully up-to-date?

My normal process is:

1) Start the car, wait for the infotainment to boot up and settle on the menu screen.

2) Unlock the phone, connect to the car via USB, and select Android Auto on the head unit (if it doesn't automatically boot).

3) Once Android Auto has loaded, switch off the phone screen.

Everything then seems to work fine - however, it will sometimes fall over at random (particularly when dictating a long message). If that happens, the only option is to pull over and reboot the phone - although that doesn't always clear the issue, at which point you have to stop the engine, get out, lock the car (to ensure the infotainment powers off completely) and then start everything from scratch.

I do love Android Auto though - I'll never have another car without it.

Yep phone all up to date, I'm assuming the issue was connected with the fact that Android Auto technically isn't available in Poland, something probably glitched with the play services, but finally it seems to be fine, thanks. Personally though it's not a game changed, makes using google maps way better but I rarely use them anyway, maybe I'm not the target audience. 

Just adding my two cents:

Huawei Mate 10 pro

Android auto installed and used unconnected before setting it up on the Fabia

Using a stubby cable and putting phone in front of cup holders

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016A168J4

I think that you need to enable each music app within android auto before you connect it, I know I had to tick Spotify to add it.

Ok, so something you may need to do is reconfigure your phones USB port. Some phones need the port to be set to 'PTP' or 'FILE TRANSFER' (sometimes shown as MTP or some such thing!). It seems phones can vary on which one they need in order to get the data transfer speed right. If it's not right the car will eject the AA program when you try to use it. There are two ways to achieve this USB setting alteration. After connecting your phone to your car using a USB cable wait for the phone to be recognised by the car. Also make sure the phone is connected by bluetooth first. Not needed but it will stop the phone hunting for the bluetooth connection and complicating the work you need to do. Then just swipe down from the top of the screen to display some basic USB settings. Choose one of the above mentioned file transfer protocols. This should them make you phone work. If you don't see something that lets you alter your phone USB configuration you will need to activate 'Developers Mode' in the system settings.

To activate develper mode go to: Settings then to System. Tap System, scroll down to Advanced, then About Phone. Then just tap About Phone 7 times until a message appear saying you are now a developer. This opens a whole new menu system. Go into the menu system for developers and scroll down to USB configuration. Tap that and a new menu opens allowing you to alter the USB configuration to one of several different types. This should work, it's never failed on any of the phones I've tried to connect to my cars or any of the phones I've connected for other people. Make sure to use a good quality cable too as 50% of the time it's a cable problem not allowing enough speed for data tranfer. Cables that often come with phones are just cheap charging cables and weren't designed to carry high speed data. Hope it works ok.

Just another point. After connecting your phone by usb cable to your car as I mention above, wait half a minute or so but if the phone isn't recognised just go ahead and swipe down from the top of the screen to expose usb configuration buttons. Change the configuration as above post. Suddenly you should notice the car recognises the phones usb port properly and AA works correctly. Or switch on developers mode as previous post and do it that way. Just wanted to make the point the phone doesn't have to be recognised to reconfigure the usb port.