1.5 TSI Manual or DSG Rejected or Rejection refused.

Rooted

I have no dog in the fight, but as the various threads become very confused maybe members could post if.

They have managed to reject or return a car they bought or leased.

or 

If they are trying to reject one without success.

The point being to assist others that are trying because of the issues they have had with cars with these engines.

There are other threads running if anyone wants to discuss Updates, Loan cars etc.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

I have a MY18 Karoq and within the first week of ownership I reported the issue(s) (kangaroo and stalling) to Lookers in Stockport, I made sure the mechanic drove the vehicle and not me....he agreed there was some Kangarooing and said I was the only person in the UK to report this issue.

I came home and had a look on here and guess what? lots of other people had the issue. I went back to Lookers who this time contacted Skoda UK who stated this was a characteristic of the Engine.

I then complained to Lex who had an 'independent' report carried out, the Engineer drove the vehicle and experienced the Kangaroo and in his words 'near stalls' he went away and said he would speak with Skoda, the report then came back stating the issues were a characteristic.

I kept the pressure on and escalated to Skoda UK who were fairly helpful, I escalated the issue and in Feb they put me in  a hire car. If anyone has an issue make sure you put it in writing about the cutting out at junctions and that the vehicle is dangerous, they can't be seen to ignore a dangerous fault and should react accordingly.

Near 6 months on and STILL in the Skoda provided Hire Car with no fix in sight for the MY18 vehicles I asked Lex to reject the vehicle, Lex took their time but Skoda have accepted the rejection and offered some compensation.

Now I need to find something as spacious with a BIK as low as the Karoq!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Obviously it is not all VW Group cars with the 1.5TSI as there are members here with VW Group cars with 1.5TSI engines.

It may well possibly affect all models with these engines, but has not. 

VW Group need to just come clean on which the reports are coming in on. Production time and the reason.

A few members have rejected cars or just traded in to get shot of them, i thought they might see this thread and share their story rather than be in various sections and threads.

Edited by Roottootemoot

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my tale.

The car was bought in February 2019, at first I thought it was me getting use to the car (shunting when cold and lack of throttle response) , but after 2 months especially with the dangerous no throttle response issue I went in to my local Skoda dealer.  They advised a software update was needed an it was duly done on 1 April.  Although better, it was not cured.  My dealer advised there was little they could do until Skoda released another update.  I contacted Skoda UK mainly to get things registered with them and again they advised it was in the hands of the software developers.  I left it for a month or so but in the end  I had a decision to make.

As I understand it when looking to return a car under the Consumer rights act 2015 there are two main dates, 30 days and 6 months.    30 days is more of a no quibble guarantee, but after 6 months things start to get more complicated.      My car was approaching 6 months so I decided to go along the route of rejecting, my reasoning was after one software update who was to say another would fix it and time was ticking.

My car was under PCP finance, so I wrote out a letter putting all the dates and work done and my reason for looking to reject.  I then went in to my local dealership where it was purchased, to me there is no point shouting at a dealership sales or service team, they often have their hands tied. 

The sales guy told me that I had to reject the car with Skoda UK (not true to my knowledge).  I persisted and explained that I would be happy with a deal, as I had no problems with the Karoq other than the engine performance issues...if they had another NEW Karoq (not petrol) I would look at it.  To cut a long story short, I basically asked to be kept at the same level (SEL) with all of the same additions I had already purchased.

I was offered 2 new unregistered cars that were on stock for immediate sale.  The sales adviser sat down and we negotiated a deal...the  end result is this:-

• Skoda did me what I perceived as a good deal on my new Skoda. ( I am not going into the finances, but the old PCP was cancelled and a new one taken up and I contributed what I considered a reasonable amount).   While It did cost me extra I gained 4x4 and electric tailgate not forgetting the retail value of the 2.0 D 4x4 is higher than the 1.5 TSI
  • I my experience Skoda (my dealer and Skoda UK) wanted to help resolve the issue.
  • Skoda UK offered some good will in the form of car accessories up to £700 (not a lot of use when most things are factory fitted)

I am sure Skoda will sell on my old car (with or without an update), the car was swapped on Aug 10th 2019.

I get it that not all on here are having the same experiences, but in my case my issues were dealt with professionally at all times. 

Flame me if you want, but that's what happened.

• Thanks 1

Successfully rejected our 1.5 Octavia SEL. approaching 18 months old, 10500 miles on clock. 

Our car initially Kanagaroo 'd during cold weather, the first instance was a cold spell just when the car was 3 months old.  Told they would get back to us, but never did.  Put up with it through winter, summer came and went, then winter approached a second time, and the jumping continued and it was reported again to dealer.

An update was applied, around October 2018.  This improved the jumping slightly, but we inherited a second issue, loss of power, randomly, when pulling away.  A safety concern.

Spoke with dealer again, and got Skoda UK involved.  Several weeks of emails, Skoda still refusing to accept this is a fault.

Eventually we returned car and refused to take it back until fixed.  By May, it was obvious no fix was going to happen.

Some one suggested we speak to Skoda finance.  We bought it when here was a cash back deal, but since paid off the finance.  They were fabulous, within, two weeks, we had the car rejected.

We did not expect a new car, as we had benefitted from the old, but we could not accept a diesel due to our short journeys, nor a smaller engine due to the size of car.  likewise, something with equally low mileage and in good condition.

Ngotiated with dealer and Skoda Finance, and had car replaced with 2.0 VRS, 6 months old, 6000 miles on clock no cost to us.  Skoda Finance were getting the extra cost back from Skoda.

Now, a few month on, so far so good.  Lets hope it remains that way.

Old car is on the dealer forecourt waiting to be re-sold! 

MY19 Superb 1.5 TSi manual estate.  

Ordered May 2018. Delivered Nov 2018.

Second gear flat spot and first gear kangarooing both notified in writing to dealer 9 days after taking delivery.

Car returned to dealer for check, dealer confirmed fault, advised fix (assumed at that time to be for both issues) due in Q1/Q2 2019.  Decided to wait for fix, but advised dealer that I was reserving right to reject.

Informed at start of April 2019 that fix was available (no specific info on whether this was for one or both faults; I think we all assumed it was for both).  Fix applied.  Second gear flat spot eliminated but kangarooing still present (regardless of driver and regardless of revs used).

Advised dealer that wished to reject.  Short delay while dealer presumably negotiated with Skoda UK.  Rejection confirmed by dealer and processed in May 2019. Car had ca 8,000 miles on clock by this time.  (No reference to an impending second fix; I only became aware of this after I had rejected. If I had known about it, it would have made no difference to my decision, as dealer had been given the one opportunity to fix the fault that is allowed for in consumer law in the UK.)

Car was advertised by dealer as for sale straightaway and ad removed within a couple of weeks, so I assume it was resold. I used my refund to buy a different make/model altogether.  (I had told dealer I would be interested in a late-model 1.4TSi, but none suitable were available at the time.)

Dealer: 10/10

Skoda UK: 0/10

Car (even though perfect in every way except for these faults): 0/10

• 2 weeks later...

We bought our Karoq from West Midlands dealer in end of Nov'18. It was petrol manual 1.5 TSi. It kangarooed and it had the deadly flat spot in second gear. Two weeks after getting the car, we've noticed faults. We've notified the dealer via email. That was beginning  of January '19. Dealer tried to speak to SkodaUK but they didn't want to know. I've had a massive argument with Skoda UK as well. They came up with the usual "you must take it to an independent garage to have it verified"!  The Dealer then refused our rejection. Then the dealer agreed on "swap" because we were such "good customers". We absolutely rejected another Skoda or another diesel car. However, the dealer offered DSG Karoq but he wanted more money for the gear box as he put it he "can't get around that". That put us financially in a corner as we didn't have the finances for this. We had no option but to settle for a Ford Focus. It didn't suit our needs at all, but it was the only car we could afford. When we complained about this we were told by the arogant dealer that he was doing us "a favour and it was our choice!" Really? Like we had a bloody choice! I totally blame the dealer - we bought the car from them as I told him - not SkodaUK. We are absolutely disgusted. We will never ever buy any VAG car ever again. 

Anyway, their loss - they lost good customer and they were left with a lemon from which I seriously doubt that they made any profit. 😄😉

Edited by Xtra2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...