Karoq software update. Progress report.

JakeB1941

@Rankaclank

Any chance please that you could post on this as it might help other not managing to reject a car and not getting Dealership support.

There are a few here that have successfully rejected cars, sadly others had to move on and lose money.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/470160-15-tsi-manual-or-dsg-rejected-or-rejection-refused

• 2 weeks later...

took my 1.5tsi sel  manual karoq registered in May 2018 for its second service yesterday it has done 20000 miles. It hasn't had the kangaroo problem but it has had the flat spot at low speed in second and it could be a bit tricky balancing clutch and accelerator when starting off uphill in first. I asked if the update was available and was told if it was it would be applied while they had it for servicing, well they did the update and things seem to be quite a lot better. When I bring the clutch up in first it now raises the rpm to 1000 and before the update it was 1250rpm it seems to make it easier to balance clutch and accelerator. I can now travel more comfortably around town in traffic in second gear and it responds better to the accelerator at low speeds in second gear. I have done approximately 100 miles since the update and all seems well. There was no mention of it learning over a 600 mile period and I wasn't told the update number, they said it was to solve the judder after start up but seeing as I have never had this problem that seems strange. Anyhow it seems to have improved the other issues so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Good to know.  My Karoq is booked in for it's first service in a couple of weeks and whilst the first update cured the 2nd gear power fade and considerably reduced the kangaroo effect I still get a slight but very annoying judder on start off in 1st so hopefully I will see the back of it shortly. Thanks for the post and I will report my experience in a couple of weeks. 

5 minutes ago, JakeB1941 said:

Good to know.  My Karoq is booked in for it's first service in a couple of weeks and whilst the first update cured the 2nd gear power fade and considerably reduced the kangaroo effect I still get a slight but very annoying judder on start off in 1st so hopefully I will see the back of it shortly. Thanks for the post and I will report my experience in a couple of weeks. 

I believe that my Karoq dates from the same era as Jake's and it performs similarly; it is due in for the update on 20th September, and I will also report back with the result.

• Like 1

Been monitoring this topic and the first gear problem for quite awhile now, and based on recent reports decided to bite the bullet and get my dealer to update the software. My specific problem was 1st gear kangarooing. Well job was done this morning and very early indication is that it has improved things, but I will withhold final judgement for a week or two to allow me to check all conditions under which I encountered the problem .....mainly on startup and in cold weather but also with warm engine to a lesser degree.

Vehicle is Karoq SEL  1.5 Evo manual built May 2018.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Yesterday, Tuesday, I took my April 2019 registered Karoq1.5 SE manual to the dealership for a short, pre planned ‘let’s have a look at what it’s doing now since the first update’ appointment arranged by Skoda UK with the dealership. When I got there I was told that the previous day Skoda UK had been in touch to say that the new/ second update was ready. 

The update was to preserve the good bits of the first update( getting rid of the second gear stall issue) and would deal with the kangarooing and the negative side effects of the first update. It was a comprehensive reset and would take about two hours. Would I like it done there and then? Yes please. 

All the courtesy cars were out. But the showroom manager lent me his personal daily drive to use while the fix was done. Nice touch. 

This morning, from cold , took off down the road without any bunny hopping. Seems to drive well and smoothly. Fantastic. I finally might now have the car I should have had on day 1.

This has been a pain in the proverbial from the start. Notwithstanding the issue of these cars being despatched from the manufacturer with the customer playing roulette on whether it was a good’un or a bad’un, I have to say, hand on heart, that my experience with Skoda UK and the dealership has been overwhelming positive. Paul from Skoda UK has kept in touch and let me know the progress of the fixes and checked with me afterwards and the dealership - and I’m happy to give them a name check in the circumstances - Willis Motor Company in South Ruislip have bent over backwards to put things right for me and send me on my way a happy customer. I know others have had different experiences but that is mine. Credit where it is due. 

Hopefully, that’s it all sorted for good. I hope other owners with similar issues have a successful outcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great news Q.... fingers crossed its done the job, which should have been done from day one. Mine still seems okay since its one and only update. Interestingly a couple of days ago I filled it up with sainsbury's premium unleaded and the smooth response from the engine was very noticeable I always use the cheapest unleaded from supermarkets. But this really seemed to make a difference. Wonder if skoda have just tried to detune the engine to compete with the emissions targets.

Good luck anyway

1. Sorry about the huge text! No idea what caused that.

2. MDVLA - Not an engineer and I may be completely wrong but  I think a lot of the problem, the second gear stall and the bunny hop when cold may have a lot to do with the ECU trying to cope with the emission control. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quickasaquickthing said:

1. Sorry about the huge text! No idea what caused that.

2. MDVLA - Not an engineer and I may be completely wrong but  I think a lot of the problem, the second gear stall and the bunny hop when cold may have a lot to do with the ECU trying to cope with the emission control. 

That does make a lot of sense.

Also explains why they don't apply the fix at the factory, would probably need the vehicle emissions standard to be changed. Would also explain why VW dealership wouldn't register my brand new 1.5TSI Touran as it had the same engine.  Shame they mess their customers around so much though... 

As I mentioned above, my Karoq went in for its second software update yesterday, and I picked it up this morning. The first update (in April) successfully cured its habit of leaping out onto a main road ....... then dying, though the tendency towards kangarooism was maintained.

The Service Manager explained what had been done and mentioned that, since taking the car in, this update had become a 'recall' though Skoda don't call it a recall - I guess in the same way that they call a dangerous fault, a 'characteristic' (think Mad Hatter's tea party). I guess that if you declare a recall, then you are expected to have a cure and, until now, there hasn't been a cure. I took this as a sign that, as of now, Skoda were convinced that they at last had a cure. Maybe Skoda should express their gratitude to their thousands of patient customers who have road-tested their modifications ........ how about a free service as a good-will gesture?

So, the verdict? The car feels very good though, of course, it's early days; my wife drove it as well, and she is as optimistic as I am. Next week we will be away for a few days in N Norfolk, so we will have a greater opportunity to test it out. If I were being really picky, then I might be able to detect a slight kangaroo, but I very much doubt that I would notice it if I wasn't aware that there had been an issue, and I don't think it's any worse than my wife's B-max which has a tiny 'roo from a cold take-off. I'll return to this topic after a week and give a further update.

BTW, I was loaned a 69 regn 1.5tsi Octavia as a courtesy car and I was struck by its smooth take-off and its rocket-like oomph. It was obvious to me that, somewhere, someone had found an answer to the 1.5's problems.

Good luck with yours, Jake.

Edited by StEdmund
missing word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

https://uk.car-recalls.eu/make/SKODA

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

When it is a real RECALL then it should be on the DVSA Site and Skoda / VW Sites and all Registered Keepers contacted with info from the DVLA, 

if just a Recall Action and not a Recall then they are just playing with words, and no different from a Service campaign.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

Edited by Roottootemoot

7 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

When it is a real RECALL then it should be on the DVSA Site and Skoda / VW Sites and all Registered Keepers contacted with info from the DVLA, 

if just a Recall Action and not a Recall then they are just playing with words, and no different from a Service campaign.

Ah, but this is Skodaland where words mean anything that you want them to mean! 😉

• Like 1

Which is why you need to always ask them to confirm in writing and to put their job title and name and sign it.

If they are not prepared to they can find someone that will who can take reponsibility for their actions on behalf of their employers and who they are carrying work out, so VW Group.

Especially as Skoda / Dealership are asking owners / customers some dodgy form of permission to experiment on their property.

Screenshot 2019-09-21 at 17.16.25.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had the latest update applied on Wed 25th to my  Karoq 1.5 SE L manual which was 'in' for it's first service. The service receptionist told me they had only received the update on the 23rd and my Karoq was the first they had applied it to. 

I have only driven 42 miles so far mainly urban roads and traffic but can confirm that so far the roo judder has gone! It's early days I know and the weather has not been  particularly cold but prior to this I was getting an embarrassing judder in 1st gear which was more pronounced with a cold engine but was always present even when the engine was up to temperature so fingers crossed this is the cure we have all been waiting for.

I post this with some scepticism as I thought the first update in April had been a 'cure all' only to find that it had only corrected the power loss problem. Also Skoda UK will be contacting me in two weeks time to check on my satisfaction with the update. Hopefully I will be able to report to them that the car they sold me has finally become the Skoda it should have been twelve months ago.

Will let you know my and their response.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JakeB1941 said:

Well I had the latest update applied on Wed 25th to my  Karoq 1.5 SE L manual which was 'in' for it's first service...................

Thanks for that report, Jake, my Karoq is the same model as yours and I believe that it emanates from the same era; the early problems on my car were the same as you described several months ago.

The second update (Skoda campaign 24EU) was applied to my car on Friday 20th Sept at 7,362 miles and I have since put another 317 miles onto it last week. As Jake observed, there has been a very noticeable improvement in my Karoq too; I am still trying to evaluate that improvement and trying to establish if it is any different to many other cars when starting off from cold. I am also trying to work out if, knowing that the car has had problems in the past, I am being oversensitive and too picky. I've a few longer journeys coming up in the next few weeks, and Skoda will ring again to see how things are going. I am fairly optimistic!

The software update also coincided with the first service; as I don't expect the car to do over 10k miles per annum, I've gone for the fixed (annual) service regime.

I will report again on this thread when the car has done a few more miles.

• Like 1

My 2019 build 1.5 Manual Karoq received the 2nd gear hesitation software update a few months back, it never suffered the 1st gear kangarooing problem.  Since the update the hesitation has never occurred and over the weekend the car covered nearly 600 miles a mix of motorways, A and B and urban roads etc. so a good test. The journeys was fault free and I have to say very relaxing. Travelling South on Saturday 300 miles through atrocious weather, belting rain and high winds the mpg worked out at about 39 mpg but on the return journey, still belting rain but not so windy it achieved 44 mpg. So very pleased. I find Sport mode is much better than Eco and gives better mpg. 

• Thanks 1

Glad to hear your news Jake, StEdmund and others. Good to know that others are finding that the second update seems finally to have sorted this long running issue. Mine has improved immensely. Like St Edmund though, I might be being picky due to the history. I do pay such close attention on startup that every beat of the normal cold engine starting has me wondering if it’s any different to a ‘normal’ car startup. I’ll get over it though.

it does seem that others are still struggling though. It does seem that Skoda might have fathomed out the issue and I hope your problems get solved soon too. 

• Like 1

My 1.5 DSG is in for its first service this week.

I had the first update and some improvement was had although my experience was far less severe than some have reported.

I was asked if I had had a letter re an update...I haven't but clearly there is one circulating....so I'm getting a new update

As my car has KESSY the work will take all day as the new update coding knocks out the immobiliser requiring it to be reconfigured...........clearly this is fully tested piece of work!

And it will take 600 miles to settle in.

I will see how it goes

Our Karoq (1.5 DSG SEL, Nov 18) went in for it's first service (10k miles) on Wednesday this week at Telford Skoda Carlisle.

It also had the 24Eu campaign done - 2 software updates.  The EU24 campaign was stated by Telfords - I did not have to ask.

On the drive home the engine did seem to run more smoothly.

The real test was Friday am when cold. The Karoq is parked on our drive, sloping downhill and the first 200+ metres down our cul-de-sac is downhill with 5 90degree bends and 2 45 degree bends, a few parked cars and be wary of children. So not above 2nd gear, quite a bit of use of the brakes and the engine mostly acting as a brake.  The bad part was half way down between 2 90 degree bends, in 2nd gear where there would usually be 3-5 hesitations (almost 100% guaranteed).  And now a success - the Karoq ran smoothly all the way down as per our current Vauxhall Agila 1.3 and a previous Honda Jazz CVT.

Since the service, we have now done 200+ miles, 140 on the M6.  The engine does seem to respond more smoothly to the accelerator pedal - any slight pedal movement and you can feel the appropriate engine response as though an old fashioned carburetor with cable attachment.

So looking good.  I had not raised the hesitation as I have been following the various threads on these forums.  We like the car - the only unfavourable item being the hesitations down our cul-de-sac when cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just posted on the 1st Gear issue Site  with thanks to RAYX

ttps://www.kfz-rueckrufe.de/vw-seat-und-skoda-rueckruf-wegen-anfahrschwaeche/6785/

Should auto translate or use Google Translate if not.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kfz-rueckrufe.de%2Fvw-seat-und-skoda-rueckruf-wegen-anfahrschwaeche%2F6785%2F

Edited by JakeB1941
Updated url.