No deal...

Joenose

Hello.

I'm thinking of treating myself to a brand new Karoq. 

However, according to this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/temporary-tariff-regime-for-no-deal-brexit-published

10% tariffs may be applied to car imports into the UK following a no-deal Brexit on 31 October.

I have heard no information from Skoda as to what their approach would be in this eventuality, and when I asked my local salesman he didn't know and would back to me (so far he hasn't).

There is this article reported in the local press back in February, but that's awhile ago now:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/motors/2019/02/15/more-car-buyers-are-warned-that-new-models-arriving-after-brexit-could-cost-extra/

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had a recent discussion with Skoda about this, or can shed any light? I suspect that unless the UK government has specifically assured them that they are exempted, ANY Skoda ordered now from the factory may be hit with this 10% tariff assuming build time of 12 weeks or more. Unfortunately, being billed for 10% of the value of the car makes the difference for me between buying or not buying.

Please no politics, I just want practical insight :)  

Thanks!

Joe

I've just been through this - bought a new vRS Octavia.

10% will be the tariff is no deal - I got the dealer to write on the order form that I would get my deposit (£1000) back if I cancelled due to Import Taxes.

I can only hope that I have my deposit secured ..... I also paid on Credit Card, so would be covered there if it all went wrong.

It is a concern though ............... I'm in for the ride!

• Administrators

I figured I'd go with a demo from this year's stock...

Near enough new is a good enough compromise considering...

Not the already bumped price for 19/20.

Not the post Brexit kind falling price bump.

No risk of import tarrif. +10%.

No risk of combined price hikes triggering the 40k ved if I was option happy.

That said it was far harder to find the spec I wanted than I anticipated and generally dealers were not as helpful as the last time I brought a car.

I waited out august and have observed a 500 drop is screen prices.

Iow have you thought about exdemo?

I'm open to considering it Colin; as i would like a 2.0 TSI Karoq with DCC and Canton however, I'm not holding out much hope that there will be any available.

Good luck with the Octavia MrRee! 

• Administrators

@Joenose dcc is the possible sticky point on the karoq. No idea how it transforms or not that model.

Your local dealer should be able to peek at uk stock. I suspect if a used one isn't on autotrader, then it's either a long trawl of the skoda uk used list, or call a few up. Maybe start with some of the bigger groups, mainly as they have more choice/showrooms.

It feels like it's a showroom spec ;)

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 23:42, MrRee said:

I've just been through this - bought a new vRS Octavia.

10% will be the tariff is no deal - I got the dealer to write on the order form that I would get my deposit (£1000) back if I cancelled due to Import Taxes.

I can only hope that I have my deposit secured ..... I also paid on Credit Card, so would be covered there if it all went wrong.

It is a concern though ............... I'm in for the ride!

I suggest you read your credit card refund terms and conditions

Do you seriously think they will allow you to claim if you voluntarily decline the purchase, it is there to protect you from failure of supplier, not to allow you to change your mind.

Most standard order forms allow taxes to be changed, its in the small print.  So your added overriding condition is sensible (providing you kept an duplicate original as well), otherwise how will you enforce it if they have the only original.

55 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

I suggest you read your credit card refund terms and conditions

Do you seriously think they will allow you to claim if you voluntarily decline the purchase, it is there to protect you from failure of supplier, not to allow you to change your mind.

Most standard order forms allow taxes to be changed, its in the small print.  So your added overriding condition is sensible (providing you kept an duplicate original as well), otherwise how will you enforce it if they have the only original.

I think it comes into play if the supplier breaks their part of the contract and won't pay back the amount paid via Credit Card?

There are 2 order forms - both carry the over-rider which I wanted be there that my deposit is safe if I cancel because of an Import Duty increase.

I am very well versed in my legal position, having won in the Courts many times, I'm as secure as I can be ..... the 'spirit' of the contract is that whatever Brexit throws at me I can cancel.

In addition, I have an e-mail from the Dealer assuring me of the deposit security in such an event.

The sad part is not getting the car I ordered of course - but maybe that's fate and I'll go get a used 272 Superb instead? :)

Edited by MrRee

Reference ex-demo stock - I seriously thought about this route, but ....

It will have been thrashed from day 1 and from 10 miles - I keep my cars 10 miles and those latter years reliability, I believe, is down to the early miles.

Ordering new you get the spec you want - I've never seen cars which vary in spec so much (I'm a Japanese car lover and you buy a spec and they're mostly the same, with lots of kit).

I couldn't find the spec I wanted .... DCC, Sunroof, Towbar, Heated Seats, Race Blue .... yes, the towbar can be retro fitted by a Skoda dealer at a cost of around £1000 - £570 to be fitted at the factory.

All in all, when you weigh everything up, buying new was the best value and - pretty much - the same price as an ex-demo/ex-Skoda car!

7 minutes ago, ColinD said:

Re the used 272, I can tell you about most of them.

😁

There's a tatty one with Marshalls, Reading - white - only 3000 miles but looks like it's been used as a builders van!!

Know anything about that one? :)