Silicone bag in expansion tank....remove or not ?

Hi

A mate of mine has a golf gtd, on a 14 plate done about 50k, his silicon bag in his expansion tank has leaked into his coolant and damaged his heater matrix, resulting in big pound notes to fix...

The part is £400 and they have got to take his dashboard out to fit it, if he has told me correctly...i would say its going to be at least £500 !

My question is, should i take the silicon bag out of my vrs tdi as i don't want the same problem lol

How easy is it to take out without damaging it ?

Thanks guys !

The bag is there to correct the Ph value of the coolant over time. Removing it risks engine corrosion due to dissimilar metal types.

If you remove it, you would need to do complete coolant changes and system flush at reasonable intervals (probably every two years.)

INHO the bag is a band aid for a more serious problem, poor engine cooling system design.