Help please with Reg and VIN

Just built a project car, a mix of a mk1 4x4 octy and a tuned AUQ engine from a mk1 VRS.  But I want to keep my VRS registration plate.  So I sent my V5 for my VRS back to DVLA and updated it with the 4x4 VIN(which is now the chassis of the car).  That was 2 weeks ago so still waiting.  Meanwhile the 4x4 reg is now SORN and possibly scrapped because I gave the 4x4 plates away with the VRS chassis when the scrap company collected it. 

Next part of the story... I took my car for it's MOT couple of days ago but then had a call from the MOT'er saying he couldn`t start the MOT because the reg doesn`t match the VIN number.  I explained to him the story that it's a project car because my AUQ engine I had done a lot of tuning work on, so I mated it upto the transmission in a 4x4 model.  He basically said to me that it is not possible to change the VIN number on the V5 for a registration number.  But I questioned him using the logic that if it isn`t possible why do DVLA give the option on the V5 to change the VIN?  But he still insisted it isn`t possible so now the car is sitting on my drive.

I contacted DVLA and they could not give me any updates on the changes on my V5, it was neither good or bad news and they just said I need to basically wait until I get the documentation back in the post.. they said it can take upto 4 weeks. 

My main question is , is it true what the MOT guy says?  That it is not possible to change the VIN that belongs to a registration plate? 

Cheers for any help as it's all pretty confusing to me at the moment.  I just want to find the easiest solution I can to get my car back on the road. 

Samuel   

• Like 1

You've done this wrong I think; you should have transferred the VRS999 reg plate onto the 4x4 which correctly keeps its original VIN (formerly chassis number), and done the engine transplant paperwork as AUQ_VRS into 4x4.

A VIN is not transferable to another vehicle.

• Like 2

The VIN stays with the Car, the chassis etc, the main part of the car, 

then as far as an engine change, axles etc like with a Land rover / Jimny with separate Chassis Body or even a monocoque body they might want the Engine Numbers, Axle Numbers etc and receipts for the engine.  They can ask for an Inspection, and sometimes that was just at DVLA offices when there were ones rather than at a VOSA facility.

PS

I had modified cars that had no SVA or IVA and what i got when a 4 door was then a pick up was a chap on the door from an officer of the law wanting to check the VIN and Engine numbers.

I had a Jimny that had 5 MOTS after being Radically Modified and the chap on the door came after i sold it, and it was sold on Ebay and the new owner put it in for the MOT.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

Ahh ok.  So I really need to get some plates made up for the original registration number that belonged to the 4x4?  Then update the V5 with the different engine? right?

Edited by sammyhale30
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, sammyhale30 said:

Ahh ok.  So I really need to get some plates made up for the original registration number that belonged to the 4x4?

So it's still chassis wise the original 4x4, just needs it's original plate.

The DVLA will return your request highlighting why you can't do that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help with this.  It's just annoying that it takes DVLA 4 weeks to do anything.  I guess I just have to be patient now and sit it out until I get some documentation from them or someone knocks on my door?  When I search the original plate on the DVLA website it says it isn`t available.. which is a bit of a worry. 

The 4x4 Octavia is KX51 UHV.  I contacted DVLA and they have asked me to email photos of the car showing the VIN etc.  Then they will re-issue a V5 to me if they are happy and cancel the Certificate of destruction. 

• Like 1