Dreaded Sat Nav update...

So, I need help! I've spent hours scrolling through threads today looking into updating the maps on my system. Firstly, I put my vin into the skoda update website and downloaded the recommended file. The files on the sd card are nothing like the ones I've downloaded...ive got mib 1 & 2 downloaded and I can't remember what I've got on the sd card. I've tried lots of different options to no avail, in my glove box I've got 2 sd cards and a cd/dvd slot. Under the stereo there's a USB and aux. One thing I did notice was people said the maps run on the sd card but I've driven around earlier with no card in and the maps worked fine?! 

Sooooooo confuuuused!!!! 

IMG_20190824_165130.jpg

You have a columbus so maps stored in the unit itself rather than on an SD card.

On SD card or usb (whichever you use to update) you need the MIB1, MIB2 and metadata file in the root of the SD card or it won't pick up the update.

Also I usually go into setup from Nav menu, then version information and tap update for a map update, rather than going into the section in your screenshot. Not sure if this matters.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

Thanks for that little insight!! 

I guess I need to format the card to hold more data as its an 8gb card with around 20gb download to squeeze into it! 

Or as its saved onto the device itself do you know if I'm able to use another sd card? 

2 minutes ago, nathjh said:

Thanks for that little insight!! 

I guess I need to format the card to hold more data as its an 8gb card with around 20gb download to squeeze into it! 

Or as its saved onto the device itself do you know if I'm able to use another sd card? 

Is the SD card you are referring to a Skoda SD card? If so, you don't need it. You literally just need any SD card or USB device with the map update files on it to update from. You'll never fit a Columbus update onto an 8GB device. 32gb minimum I think. With the Columbus the maps are stored on the storage built in to the unit. With an Amundsen you have to use a Skoda SD card as that holds the map data files but in your case this doesn't apply.

Edited by ahenners

7 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Is the SD card you are referring to a Skoda SD card? If so, you don't need it. You literally just need any SD card or USB device with the map update files on it to update from. You'll never fit a Columbus update onto an 8GB device. 32gb minimum I think. With the Columbus the maps are stored on the storage built in to the unit. With an Amundsen you have to use a Skoda SD card as that holds the map data files but in your case this doesn't apply.

Yeah it's a skoda branded sd card, the box it came in is still in the glove box. That's good to know though I'll get it put onto a bigger card and updated ASAP!

Thanks a lot for the information. 

4 minutes ago, nathjh said:

Yeah it's a skoda branded sd card, the box it came in is still in the glove box. That's good to know though I'll get it put onto a bigger card and updated ASAP!

Thanks a lot for the information. 

No probs, keep us updated. You have a usb drive in your pic is that not big enough to hold the update? Think you can do it via USB as well as SD.

30 minutes ago, ahenners said:

No probs, keep us updated. You have a usb drive in your pic is that not big enough to hold the update? Think you can do it via USB as well as SD.

Nope it's only 8gb, all my tech is old and outdated now!! Except the 64gb micro sd card that's in an expansion thing. Fingers crossed I'll go and see if it's all gone onto the card shortly. 

6 minutes ago, nathjh said:

Nope it's only 8gb, all my tech is old and outdated now!! Except the 64gb micro sd card that's in an expansion thing. Fingers crossed I'll go and see if it's all gone onto the card shortly. 

If for any random reason despite following everything @ahenners has said with your micro sd card, try it via USB again, obviously with a larger gb stick.

I tried numerous times via sd and followed all the info on the forum and failed. Tried it via USB and worked first time. Others have reported same thing. 

In short dont lose faith if its doesn't work via sd card.

15 minutes ago, steved83 said:

If for any random reason despite following everything @ahenners has said with your micro sd card, try it via USB again, obviously with a larger gb stick.

I tried numerous times via sd and followed all the info on the forum and failed. Tried it via USB and worked first time. Others have reported same thing. 

In short dont lose faith if its doesn't work via sd card.

I'll bare this in mind thank you. If it doesn't work I can pick a USB up tomorrow and hopefully get it done!

thanks so much @ahenners my sat nav is now considerably more up to date than it was, took about an hour, I was dropping someone off into town anyway and needed some fuel so i just went for a little drive after and all is good!! thank you for your input as well @steved83 

3 minutes ago, nathjh said:

thanks so much @ahenners my sat nav is now considerably more up to date than it was, took about an hour, I was dropping someone off into town anyway and needed some fuel so i just went for a little drive after and all is good!! thank you for your input as well @steved83 

Great stuff! 😎