Vrs oil consumption

Hi. I believe there are relevent threads, I just don't seem to be able to find them.

I have a 2011 Octavia vrs, I do approximately 60 miles a day mostly motorway. I top up about about a litre of oil on around the 2000 mile mark. It's been that way for  the 2 years that I've owned the car. I've had the car in a local garage to check for leaks but no findings. I've recently discovered that I have two acquaintances that have the same model as me but claim not having to top up between services. 

Anyone know what the potential issue is?

Lots of threads, look through the engine failure sticky at the top of the threads. Yours is a EA888 Gen 2.  I have the same year and model.  Mine has 60,000 miles and I use maybe 1 litre in 7000 miles.  Usually when I change the oil at 12 months / 7k it is at the bottom of the dip stick hatch area.

There are two significant vulnerabilities with this engine. i) Oil scraper ring design and contamination leading to excessive oil consumption and failure ii) timing chain tensioner, which can be replaced to a newer revision to virtually eliminate that risk.

It is said that long term servicing does this engine no favours and a good quality 12 / months / 10k max service regime can help to prevent  or maybe contain the issue. You could try using a 5w40 vw 502.00 oil as well which may help if you are using long life 5w30...

Edited by TheClient

Cool. So I've read the sticky about the engine failures. I believe with the use it's had that it would be worth checking out the timing chain tensioner especially with the amount of mentions in the sticky. Is it a big/ expensive job and do you genuinely believe this may help with the oil consumption?

Thanks

The only things likely to help with the oil usage is per my previous post above given there is no leaks present. 

The tensioner however is another vulnerability that strikes often without warning and is a £6k plus fix for a new engine if it fails catastrophically which is impossible to predict. It usually costs In the region of £700 at an independent using genuine parts to change the part preventatively and avoid the car being a mechanical write off.

Edited by TheClient

• 2 weeks later...

I'd run VW502.00  spec 10w40.  The thicker hot viscosity might help a fraction.

Also oil changes at least every 10,000km to try and clean up the oil scraper ring but it's probably too late for that now.

A cheap gamble might be replacing the PCV valve if you are handy with DIY. They are around GBP25 and easy to replace.

And remembering that "Additives are not a panacea for revitalizing defective engines" you might try an additive multi-pronged approach like this: 

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/service/tips-and-topics/detail/news/quick-and-simple-remedy-for-high-oil-consumption-1981.html

edit:  And don't be afraid to give the thing some welly and get compression behind the rings.  A lot of oil consumption issues are because people baby the engine too much

Edited by brad1.8T

On the CCZA EA888 Gen 2 the pcv / oil separator are £60 to £70 plus vat for genuine. I wouldn't trust the chinese pattern parts on that item as you would not know what you are getting.

I did change my oil separator chasing weeping oil on the turbo intact tract and around the diverter and it did fix that but unless there was oil pouring out of the gasket or a  huge leak present, I couldn't see it using huge amounts of oil due to that.

PS if changing the oil separator note, confusingly, there are at least 2 current versions of the part based on engine manufacture date and care needs to be taken to order the correct one.

Edited by TheClient