1L 110 PS Engine Running In

Gonzini

Hi all

All being well picking up the new mk3 Fabia 1L 110PS Tuesday.

Seeing as its a new car, whats the latest thoughts on the best way to run these latest generation 3 cylinder engine's in?

Just want to get it right from the start really.

Cheers

See the instructions in the owner's manual. In summary, for the first 1000km don't exceed more than 3/4 top engine speed. But also vary the engine speed (avoid sustained cruising) and don't lug it at low revs (in general, even after run-in).

2 hours ago, ettlz said:

See the instructions in the owner's manual. In summary, for the first 1000km don't exceed more than 3/4 top engine speed. But also vary the engine speed (avoid sustained cruising) and don't lug it at low revs (in general, even after run-in).

Good point, I'll see if i can grab it off the internet..

Probably not going to be getting much over 50 mph for a few weeks, i guess a mix of 30 & 40 mph roads i normally drive on.

Will have a longer 200 mile mainly motorways journey early next month, I'm normally sitting around 50/60 average with that one. Traffic permitting, M3 / M25 / M1 / A1

Cheers

I have always found that keeping the engine spinning freely using the gearbox and not flogging it works.

Remember the disc brakes and tires) also need "running in" to build up a "skin" avoid hard braking.

2 hours ago, Gonzini said:

hahaha :)

I'm tempted but i guess that's not really the correct advice or is it?!!!!

Definitely not ! 🙂 High revs only apply to racing engines that are designed to be run in this way.

Keep it below 4000 revs, don't lug it, no long periods on cruise control, a variety of revs/speeds. Normal speed limit of 70mph is fine, avoid towing or heavy loads.

1 hour ago, sikejsudjek said:

Definitely not ! 🙂 High revs only apply to racing engines that are designed to be run in this way.

Keep it below 4000 revs, don't lug it, no long periods on cruise control, a variety of revs/speeds. Normal speed limit of 70mph is fine, avoid towing or heavy loads.

So when you say lug it do you mean labouring the engine?

2 hours ago, gumdrop said:

I have always found that keeping the engine spinning freely using the gearbox and not flogging it works.

Remember the disc brakes and tires) also need "running in" to build up a "skin" avoid hard braking.

Sorry can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by keeping the engine spinning freely using the gearbox?

1 minute ago, sikejsudjek said:

Yep, for example don't floor it in 5th at 30 mph, especially bad for turbo engines as it can do damage. 🙂

Ok thanks, that's what i thought you meant.

I'm used to the 1.2 105PS in the mk2 Fabia, 3rd gear has a wide usable range so i guess i might have to start changing down into second to get the revs up a bit if the 1L doesn't have as much grunt lower down.