Ambient lighting

Ambient light on my car has come back from the dealer with a fault which dealer says is normal and not a fault. Since I have had the car the ambient lighting across all 4 doors and dashboard at night has stayed on (dimmed) with engine running. Since I got the car back the lighting across the dash goes out with engine running. Cant be a software update as car has needed one since January but neither myself, main dealer or Skoda themselves have managed to update the software.

Can others confirm the dash strip stays on with engine running in their cars and if possible advise how to fix this fault, which main dealer fixed last year, but it has come back ??????????

2 minutes ago, funmart said:

Ambient light on my car has come back from the dealer with a fault which dealer says is normal and not a fault. Since I have had the car the ambient lighting across all 4 doors and dashboard at night has stayed on (dimmed) with engine running. Since I got the car back the lighting across the dash goes out with engine running. Cant be a software update as car has needed one since January but neither myself, main dealer or Skoda themselves have managed to update the software.

Can others confirm the dash strip stays on with engine running in their cars and if possible advise how to fix this fault, which main dealer fixed last year, but it has come back ??????????

Yes mine stays on with engine running. Have you been into the menu and brought up the brightness whilst the engine is running? Tried changing colour?

9 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

As above, stays on with engine running....I think that's the whole point of them. 

Skoda customer care haven't a clue whats supposed to happen and accept whatever the dealer tells them, and Skoda technical are even worse as when pinned down with specific question from customer care come back with read whatever the page is in the manual, which is no use to anyone as the manual is generic for all models and covers every possible option but not what applies to my car.

I have been into the on board system, tried changing colour, turning on and off, nothing corrects the fault.

2 minutes ago, funmart said:

Skoda customer care haven't a clue whats supposed to happen and accept whatever the dealer tells them, and Skoda technical are even worse as when pinned down with specific question from customer care come back with read whatever the page is in the manual, which is no use to anyone as the manual is generic for all models and covers every possible option but not what applies to my car.

I have been into the on board system, tried changing colour, turning on and off, nothing corrects the fault.

Ok but have you done that with the engine running? I suspect it memorises two settings, one for engine off and one for on. You set them by having the car in the relevant mode (engine on or off) whilst adjusting the settings, I think. Also be aware that for obvious reasons, it is fairly dim at night with engine running and you can’t really see it at all during the day.

21 minutes ago, funmart said:

If you do ever go back to the dealers to discuss this further, ask them to drive another Superb 3 with the ambient lighting into the workshop and see what happens with the engine running.   

I've just been out and checked and mine are on with the engine running, with the lights set to both 'Auto' and 'Off', e.g it's not a day/night thing.  They are just always on or should be. 

I can see there's two places where they can be enabled/disabled/turned up or down: 

1.  The top of the screen when accessing the 'Background Lighting' menu, 'On' or 'Off'  

2.  When clicking on the colour palette at the bottom of the screen, which opens up another menu to set the light levels for each area e.g front doors, dash, etc (as per @Gizmo's comment above) There's a slider bar for each area as well as a big bar at the bottom of the screen to universally change the levels. 

Hope that makes sense and apologies if this is something you already know/have tried.  

77ADC560-D606-45AA-A592-1CFD8D96C644.jpeg

48E1BF16-DC68-46B9-AEEF-E26EAB703E83.jpeg

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have tied that and made no difference when engine is running. On the 12th October the seats failed to auto move on recognition of my key but the ambient lighting now working across dashboard engine on or off, following day seats after mucking about with settings started working properly, so for now no problems. But what is really annoying is the main dealer I use has told Skoda customer care the dashboard ambient lighting goes out with engine on and Customer care believe them not me, even when they have an email for the same fault I sent the same dealer last year and the dealer fixed it last year, talk about the tail wagging the dog.

• 5 months later...

How is ambient lighting stripe on škoda made? Is it like the ones on Chinese market with a ray of light which sperds trough a transparent stripe, or it has small led bulps spread trough the stripe? As I noticed that the light intensity on few spots is lover on mine, probably because some of them are burnt out? Is it possible to change the faulty bulps, or the stripe needs to be changed?

Anybody with a comment?

Thanks...

Dan

On 07/04/2020 at 14:52, Danijel2207 said:

How is ambient lighting stripe on škoda made? Is it like the ones on Chinese market with a ray of light which sperds trough a transparent stripe, or it has small led bulps spread trough the stripe? As I noticed that the light intensity on few spots is lover on mine, probably because some of them are burnt out? Is it possible to change the faulty bulps, or the stripe needs to be changed?

Anybody with a comment?

Thanks...

Dan

There Are led lights at the End of the strip, If any dirt or worse liquid come inside of it, that part will glow and the other would not (don’t ask how I know). At the dashboard you have 2 pairs at the center, one going to the passenger side, the other to the driver side. In doors only one at the end.

1 hour ago, KaraS3 said:

There Are led lights at the End of the strip, If any dirt or worse liquid come inside of it, that part will glow and the other would not (don’t ask how I know). At the dashboard you have 2 pairs at the center, one going to the passenger side, the other to the driver side. In doors only one at the end.

Thanks a lot for the info. Is there a tutorial or a video on how to disassemble and clean the stripes on dashboard?

Haven’t found any, but tried myself-End up with broken strip, I tried to pull out the strip and at very End it broke apart. 
The thing is that strip is in plastic housing guled to the trim.

after first one broken I unglued the housing and clean the rest. Glued it again, wasn’t too hard to do it (at the End finished with new sportline trim)
But first to ask you; why would you want to do it, did the liquid get inside? Because I noticed also BAD finish quality and where I noticed that, that part would glow little bit different than the other (maybe polishing would help, but wouldn’t recomend that as it’s too weak to handle any pressure).

25 minutes ago, KaraS3 said:

Haven’t found any, but tried myself-End up with broken strip, I tried to pull out the strip and at very End it broke apart. 
The thing is that strip is in plastic housing guled to the trim.

after first one broken I unglued the housing and clean the rest. Glued it again, wasn’t too hard to do it (at the End finished with new sportline trim)
But first to ask you; why would you want to do it, did the liquid get inside? Because I noticed also BAD finish quality and where I noticed that, that part would glow little bit different than the other (maybe polishing would help, but wouldn’t recomend that as it’s too weak to handle any pressure).

Good thinking... I don't think anything got in it. Then it's definitely BAD finish quality. It is worth to try to polish it, without taking it of. But with what could I polish a tiny-low quality plastic without removing it or braking it?

2 minutes ago, KaraS3 said:

Doubt it, it’s far inside to be touched and exposed to sunlight...

I mentioned it as I can see small differences on the surface in daylight. I think polishing the surface gently with something suitable, could make a difference.  Anyway thanks a lot for your effort. It is of great help...