Propshaft damper

Andy Sayle

Hi folks.  Just picked up my Yeti from its annual oil change service.  The rear propshaft damper is apparently showing signs of failing, the rubber inside the outer ring is showing some cracks.

I was wondering if this could be the cause of a vibration that can be felt when travelling over about 60mph, and under hard acceleration?  Its mostly noticable in higher gears, and is less noticeable under medium and light acceleration.   I thought it might have been wheel balance, but it almost disappears when lifting off the accelerator.

Next question, is replacing this damper achievable for a novice on a driveway, or does it require fancy tools etc?

Cheers!

Andy

Sounds plausible to me.  When I had the potentially lethal work carried out by a Skoda workshop on my gear box that left the propshaft not bolted up correctly the vibration symptoms were similar to what you describe - noticeable around 60-ish.

I reckon with a decent set of tools and a decent ramp or lift you may be able to do it at home, but it needs doing properly.

17 hours ago, Urrell said:

Putting details of your car would help you get correct answers.

Updated my profile now, it's a 2012 elegance.  2.0tdi, 4x4, with pano roof, rough road pack, and a few other minor extras too.

• Like 2