2015 Yeti AWD metalic grating noise at 2000RPM

littleredcar

Hi,

Recently got a 2015 1.4 petrol AWD Yeti with 21,000 miles on the clock.

Now that I have tuned my ears into the car, I can hear a metallic grating noise when  the cars reaches just over 2000RPM, which goes as the revs increase. I recently had this with a 15 plate Citigo (different cars I know) but this turned out to be the clutch and Gearbox thrust bearing. Fortunately I had both replaced under warranty, but it would have cost £900! This car has a 3 month RAC warranty an so am keen to determine if this is the same problem before I'm out of warranty.

Apart from the noise the car drives fine. The clutch does seem ok, but then so did the Citigo's clutch!

Any ideas!

Jo

Hi,

Yes its had the oil changed, at 17k, No mention of the filter though. I've had it to Skoda for diagnosis and they didn't suggest anything!.

Not sure about the warranty limit, I will check, It does have an hour limit to £65.00 which is frankly stingy.

I also hear a whining noise at 60MPG, that I don't hear before or after. They did think that the Haldex pump could be at fault , but then dismissed this when they saw that it had had an oil change only 4K miles ago.

Jo

Weren't there a batch of cars from about that date where the clutch springs failed some years later? This resulted in a grinding noise until the clutch failed completely or the broken spring cut its way through the bell housing?

It could also be as you say a failing bearing. Unlikely to be the thrust bearing as that only does something when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Mine had that - the broken clutch spring.  It made a noise at idle which changed with clutch engagement and eventually needed a new gearbox (which led to the negligent incompetence of a Skoda dealer leaving my car with a potentially lethal faulty).