Best All Season Tyres?

Expatman

Having sold my winter tyres/wheels I will be buying a set of all season tyres. Welcome any recommendations from experience on best tyres for a Yeti (215 x 60 x R16); looking for a comfortable quiet ride in addition to usability.

Obvious choice is Michelin Cross Climate+ or Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2 or, perhaps Continental but any other recommendations from experience welcome.

Not certain on sizes but have used a set of falken euroall seasons on my yeti a few years back and were quite decent at the price point. Also have extensively used vredestein quatrac 3's (on my father's Fiesta farm car) and quatrac 5's (on my own citroen grand Picasso, just recently sold) which were excellent tyres. The above are both mid range choices which is reflected in their respective prices. 

Edited by Gmac983

I also recommend the Vredestein Quatrac5. I've not had experience of the others. Plenty of on line review videos. I chose the Vredestein  on price, previous experience of an earlier version and importantly they are assymetric but bi -directional. Unlike the top rated Michelins.

• Like 2

I've put CrossClimate's on a previous car - brilliant! I've not experienced the others mentioned but will be ordering some more CrossClimate's for the Superb I'm collecting tomorrow.

cheers,

Chris

After 6000 miles my rear Vredesteins have 6.5mm and the fronts have just under 6mm left. I'm usually pretty hard on tyres and so far that is excellent. Handling, ride ,grip wet and dry and noise are all good. I'd still recommend them for all year round use.

21 minutes ago, gregoir said:

After 6000 miles my rear Vredesteins have 6.5mm and the fronts have just under 6mm left. I'm usually pretty hard on tyres and so far that is excellent. Handling, ride ,grip wet and dry and noise are all good. I'd still recommend them for all year round use.

Mine have covered ~21K miles and still have 6mm on the fronts, 5.5mm on the rears.  The wear rate is outstanding, as is their all-weather grip.  Particularly in the Summer/dry where they aren't far off a sorted high-end tyre. They are effective in the Winter too.  I had a 400 mile round trip during the 'Beast from the East' and they kept me mobile when a lot of cars were being abandoned at the bottom of inclines. 

We've also used GY Vector 4 Seasons on my wifes Golf GTI (now sold) and I have a new set in the garage, waiting to go on her new Fabia.  They are excellent tyres, particularly in the wet/ice/snow where I think they trump the Vredesteins.  Though they do feel more like a Winter tyre in the dry/Summer; a bit squashy but that's expected with the sipes/compound.  They are often referred to as a Winter biased all-season tyre and I would defo agree with that.   Wear rate is also very good, ours lost ~1.5mm in 7K miles.  

I find both the Vredesteins and GY's to be quite refined and quiet too.  

Put CrossClimate+ on my Octavia last April, switched back to front in July and after around 12K miles the fronts still had a good 3-4mm on, the rears 5-6mm.

Haven't driven in the snow but they were definitely more assured during the colder months.  Very telling when I got a puncture and had to put my spare on which was spinning up on a cold day waaaay before the CC would even think of doing the same.

They handle standing water very well and I'd have to say they're probably the best tyre I've ever fitted to a car I've owned (comparisons with Uniroyal, Hankook, Avon, Falken, Goodyear).

Thanks all, eventually decided on Goodyear Vector Gen 2. Close between them and CrossClimates and reviews on both were excellent. Decided on Goodyears because could get them in preferred spec (not XL) and found a deal £25 cheaper per tyre than CrossClimates = £100 saving. Price not driving factor but as makes were so finely matched in reviews price helped decision.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, laurencemchenry said:

Bridgestone a005

Probably yes if you live near the Southern or Atlantic coasts as they seem to win the wet braking tests

There are better choices for those who live in the hills or further north as the A005 is weaker in the snow

Others to consider are Michelin Cross Climate Plus, Goodgear Vector 4 season gen 2

Heard good things regarding Vredestein Quatrac Pro (but only in bigger sizes), the older Quatrac 5 is good if you need an unusual size tyre

• Like 2

Have used vredestein quatrac 3's and 5's (the 5's extensively) and found them to be excellent as mentioned earlier. Also have used vredestein sessanta's (summer tyre) which were v.good as well, as far as summer tyres go that is. 

Once my Kodiaq needs tyres it will likely be getting quatrac pro's when the time comes. 

Typically find the vred's to be a decent tyre for the price point. 

I have a very good tyre shop local to me who is a vredestein agent, hence my tendency towards vredestein. 

Edited by Gmac983
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the warmer/ wetter parts of the UK cross climate+.

In the cold and more likely to see snow, probably either the goodyear vecor 4 seasons (g2) or possibley the conti (But not run these in family) - Basically a little more winter biased.

Edited by cheezemonkhai