What trailer can I tow?

clv101

I'm looking for a education, what I can and can't tow, both physically and legally.

I have a 150tdi 4x4 Yeti, with factory fit tow bar. What's the maximum braked towing weight? 1800kg or 2100kg? What about unbraked?

I got my licence after January 1997 so I'm limited to a maximum combined weight of 3500kg? So taking off ~1500kg for the Yeti would leave ~2000kg?

What about unbraked, is there a 750kg limit? What's the significance of 750kg?

Pros and cons for braked vs unbraked?

Basically, I'd like to be able to tow an 8x4 trailer but if the trailer itself is going to weigh at least 300kg the 750kg limit doesn't leave much for the payload!  It would be good to be able to shift ~1000kg of payload.

Totally agree with a maximum of 80% of the cars weight for towing purposes. Too many caravans on their roof on motorways because of unsuitable combinations or poor loading.

Me 3 on the 80% match towing weight, even more so when inexperienced, at 80% your car is definitely boss of the job. 

Although "ordinary" trailers are less susceptible to high winds and "suck" from other high sided vehicles than  caravans are, subject to being loaded properly of course. 

As far as trailers go you may wish to consider something like an Ifor Williams general duty GD84, which would give you the 8'x4' size (actually slightly bigger than that) you want and the 1000kg payload you are after. Trailer is actually 1400kg gross and less than 400 kg unladen in basic form (no options like a ramp back door or canopy for example). I know that would take you above the 80% already mentioned but also fits nicely under 3500kg train weight when combined with many vehicles, also how often do you intend to be fully loaded? It's what I have for that very reason.

However I did completed my trailer training and test 18 months ago (2nd attempt, having fluffed my 1st go on the general driving part, bad habits 🙄 ). It was a good thing to have done even though I could technically have towed my trailer legally without it. Plus In time to come a particular car/trailer combo you wish to drive may not be under 3500kg train weight, test allows you legally up to a lot more I think possibly 7000kg train weight, not certain on that figure without checking and obviously subject to vehicle and trailer ratings. 

Oh yes and if you intend using you trailer for dump/recycling centre runs you may wish to check their restrictions as many have limits on trailer length (not including towing iron/A frame). 

Edited by Gmac983

Also to know for sure what your vehicles maxing towing weight is. This will be on the vehicles VIN plate or a secondary sticker on the driver's door pillar, visible when you open the door. Your max towing weight will be max train weight minus max kerb weight and these figures are what VOSA or police go by. 

Not sure about 750kg unbraked as when I got my new V5c it said 700kg unbraked, must have a look at the old one to see what that said.

Yep old V5c is 2000/700 does the 150 have a higher limit?

Edited by idleness

On 24/10/2019 at 15:14, idleness said:

Not sure about 750kg unbraked as when I got my new V5c it said 700kg unbraked, must have a look at the old one to see what that said.

Yep old V5c is 2000/700 does the 150 have a higher limit?

Not sure on the specifics model to model with Yeti.

However 750kgs is the max unbraked towing weight you will see on any vehicle. It can often be less than that, vehicle dependant.

I think in the dim and distant past I read that unbraked towing weight is half your kerb weight or upto 750kg. So if for example your Yeti's kerb weight (not to be confused with max kerb weight or MAM maximum authorized mass) is 1400 kg then your unbraked weight will be 700kg. Anyone else know for sure on this one?

1 hour ago, Gmac983 said:

Not sure on the specifics model to model with Yeti.

However 750kgs is the max unbraked towing weight you will see on any vehicle. It can often be less than that, vehicle dependant.

I think in the dim and distant past I read that unbraked towing weight is half your kerb weight or upto 750kg. So if for example your Yeti's kerb weight (not to be confused with max kerb weight or MAM maximum authorized mass) is 1400 kg then your unbraked weight will be 700kg. Anyone else know for sure on this one?

I cannot find it mentioned in any legislation, so suspect it is an urban myth

1 minute ago, Llanigraham said:

Thanks and noted for future use

I thought the same as you until it was pointed out to me that something like a Ford Ka being allowed to tow 750kg is madness.