Dashboard turning off

Parkesie

Got a unusal problem with my yeti. I think i know what it is but dont have the tools to full confirm it at home.

turn on the ingnition dashboard powers up as normal. 

Start engine and a few seconds later the dashboard completly turns off.

My initial thought is the alternator regulator is over charging and the dash is shutting down to protect its self.

Ive disconected the alternator and started the engine and the dash stays on with the battery light on so looks like its the regulator. Will hopefully get the multimeter and diag on it tomorrow to confirm and then its just finding a new regulator.

Do you mean everything stops working - rev counter, speedo etc. or is it just the electronics? On both Yeti’s I have had very, very occasionally the radio display didn’t come on when I switched the radio on, never sussed it out nor did 2 main dealers, found solution was to reboot radio by holding in on/off button until the radio rebooted and then 99% of time everything returned to normal. On the 1% it didn’t then rebooted a second time and that cured it. Didn’t affect the dashboard though.

Well i got home with multi metre and battery tester and would you believe it all works perfectly. 😂 

Instruments stay on alternators kicking out 14.5V. Battery tester dosnt like the battery so looks like it might all be down to a dying battery in the end.

It is pointless taking a battery reading when the alternator is working or for a while afterwards. That should always be around 14.4v. What you need is a "resting voltage" reading which shouldn't be taken for at least 3 hours after then engine has stopped. A reading of 12v shows a battery that is 50% discharged.