Polishing Red Fabia vRS

Bought a Fabia vRS a couple of months ago and only recently had a go at cleaning and polishing it. I'm using Autoglym products which seen to work well but a couple of panels only seem to take to the polish for a day or so then you notice the colour fade slightly again. From anyone's experience what polish have you used and would recommend? Cheers 

P.S new to the club :)

Strange, AG are decent products. For longer life use AG top coat sealant, but a coupe of days is not normal. Wash, clay then polish and seal the panels that keep fading. If that doesn't work might need a machine polish. 

Edited by VRS_White_Hatch

2 minutes ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

Strange, AG are decent products. For longer life use AG top coat sealant, but a coupe of days is not normal. Wash, clay then polish and seal the panels that keep fading. If that doesn't work might need a machine polish. 

Cheers for the reply mate. When I used them on my old Red Zetec S it seemed to do the trick but the rest bumper and spoiler especially on the Fabia just turn a shade closer to pink. Every where else takes well to the polish. I'll try the sealant next time :) who knows when with this crap weather! Cheers

This was mine freshly done with Autoglym. Stays looking nice for a good while...

SS853678.jpg

SS853683.jpg

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TMB said:

This was mine freshly done with Autoglym. Stays looking nice for a good while...

SS853678.jpg

SS853683.jpg

Fair play looks like a nice clean car! :) living on the coast too haha do you underseal it?

Here's mine which looks shiny but the back end is the faded culprit! Haven't got any from behind it that show the colour difference!

IMG-20190905-WA0002.thumb.jpg.4c3b00de3ccf753cc3a1e5b59e60565b.jpg

IMG-20190905-WA0004.jpg

• Like 1

Yours looks really nice too :)

Yes I live right on the coast. It just has the factory underseal but it's fine underneath according to the MOT man.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TMB said:

Yours looks really nice too :)

Yes I live right on the coast. It just has the factory underseal but it's fine underneath according to the MOT man.

Thanks mate :) ah right that's good news for you! Undersealed the wife's car but not sure about doing the Skoda due to it being quite time consuming and I have little time as it is haha only really rusty on the suspension components!

• Like 1

Both look in really good shape for the age of them, I do like red cars, look good polished up. I wonder if the faded rear was frequently parked up with the sun on the back end. You see a few pink Corsa's and Astra's dotted about where Vauxhall have really suffered from colour fade. Nothing wrong with using the colour magic polish to restore the red, you can still use the AG Topcoat sealer over it for a long lasting finish. PE54 would be improved by black mudflaps IMO, I think they would go well and keep some of the road crud at bay. 

Not being critical guys, just an observation - the alloys look so much smarter than wheel trims. You can restore used alloys yourself with metallic filler and a rattle can of something like Ford Stardust Silver for a decent metallic sparkle finish if its something you've considered. 

Wish I had a spare set of alloys for winter tyres, next on my wish list.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

Both look in really good shape for the age of them, I do like red cars, look good polished up. I wonder if the faded rear was frequently parked up with the sun on the back end. You see a few pink Corsa's and Astra's dotted about where Vauxhall have really suffered from colour fade. Nothing wrong with using the colour magic polish to restore the red, you can still use the AG Topcoat sealer over it for a long lasting finish. PE54 would be improved by black mudflaps IMO, I think they would go well and keep some of the road crud at bay. 

Not being critical guys, just an observation - the alloys look so much smarter than wheel trims. You can restore used alloys yourself with metallic filler and a rattle can of something like Ford Stardust Silver for a decent metallic sparkle finish if its something you've considered. 

Wish I had a spare set of alloys for winter tyres, next on my wish list.

Thanks mate :) there is a chance it was being the two only plastic panels at the back of the car.

I never really considered mudflaps for it to be honest. Might have a search around :) agree about alloys, trims are tacky but looks better than just plain rusted old steel wheels Haha

4 hours ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

Not being critical guys, just an observation - the alloys look so much smarter than wheel trims.

Yeah, alloys do look better but it's not something that bothers me. It's only a base model Fabia and a workhorse.

4 hours ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

You see a few pink Corsa's and Astra's dotted about where Vauxhall have really suffered from colour fade.

Yeah, some red Vauxhalls are notorious for turning pink. Looks terrible.

6 minutes ago, jars said:

Cherry Glaze is not the answer, IMO. You need a polish to cut the lacquer and take a couple of micros off for it to remain red and not go pink again. 

If you cut the lawyer don't you need to polish and protect alot more often or is that not the case? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to bodywork/paint, just mechanical.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Gazshadows said:

If you cut the lawyer don't you need to polish and protect alot more often or is that not the case? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to bodywork/paint, just mechanical.

Cheers

In all honesty, it’s likely to fade at some point either way, so staying on top of keeping the car clean is the only real answer. A machine polish will make it look that much better. 

my 1992 J reg Astra went pink when it was about 6 years and 170,000 miles  old. Slap a bit of colour magic on it and it would look good for 3 or even 4 minutes :) I knew the chap I sold it to and at about 8 years old it was almost totally pale pink. mind you, by then it was at 200,000 miles and pretty well done.

• Haha 1

3M Perfect It for machine (with the cyan cap) and my Bosch PEX270AE orbital sander with a sheep wool sponge made my old Audi 80cc (I miss that car) bright and shiny as new. Even now, when I repair a dent, I still use the above to make the finish smooth. 

3M has a whole range of shinning products, each one for a specific reason but it is costly to obtain all of them. I found that the above is the best for generic use. With a little more effort will give a great result. 

• Thanks 1