Wireless Apple CarPlay

MiniEggs

• 4 weeks later...

We picked ours up on Saturday and have been using the Wireless Android Auto - Seems okay, most frusttrating thing is that on the Bolero unit you don't have the option to add a sim card. As you have to connect to the cars WLAN/hotspot for the wireless to work, you then lose internet on your device as it tries to use the hotspot for internet which doesn't have internet access due to no sim card. This means you only have offline maps (in Google Maps) and no access to music unless saved on the device. All said and done, that made the wireless connectivity pretty pointless!

Lack of SD card is a pity.

That said the Apple CarPlay is superb! Yes I have all the music loaded on my device so don’t need to stream my music 😂. very impressed with how good it works without having to plug my phone in.

9 hours ago, WiltsSkoda said:

We picked ours up on Saturday and have been using the Wireless Android Auto - Seems okay, most frusttrating thing is that on the Bolero unit you don't have the option to add a sim card. As you have to connect to the cars WLAN/hotspot for the wireless to work, you then lose internet on your device as it tries to use the hotspot for internet which doesn't have internet access due to no sim card. This means you only have offline maps (in Google Maps) and no access to music unless saved on the device. All said and done, that made the wireless connectivity pretty pointless!

Load them onto USB 

Edited by skoda1982

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/12/2019 at 12:11, WiltsSkoda said:

I have picked up a Scala with the Bolero unit without wireless smartlink (not an option in the NLs). I am curious if it can be enabled afterwards. Do you have VCDS or other software to create an autoscan of module 5F and the longcoding string? In that way I can compare the differences in settings. Do you also have a WLAN option available in settings?

On 02/12/2019 at 16:44, Kiero1 said:

Lack of SD card is a pity.

That said the Apple CarPlay is superb! Yes I have all the music loaded on my device so don’t need to stream my music 😂. very impressed with how good it works without having to plug my phone in.

Do you have the Bolero or the Amundsen? And do you have the WLAN option in settings?

I had a Scala as a courtesy car.

unfortunately the Scala Bolero does not have the wireless CarPlay but the Bolero in the Kamiq does

i do not believe it can be enabled as it operates through a wireless hotspot that isn’t available in the Scala through the Bolero but someone else may prove me wrong 

I'm still assessing my Kamiq and trying to discount my most immediate impressions because it is not a YETI 😄.

While I was out in it this afternoon, I got a WhatsApp. I'd got the radio on but I heard the notification sound and my iPhone screen popped up on the centre display. I pulled over but didn't need to get my phone out of my pocket. Selected WhatsApp on the screen and it read the message to me then asked if I wanted to reply. I said yes and dictated my response which was first read back to me for my confirmation and then clicked send. That gets my 'thumbs up'.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2019 at 17:05, Kiero1 said:

I had a Scala as a courtesy car.

unfortunately the Scala Bolero does not have the wireless CarPlay but the Bolero in the Kamiq does

i do not believe it can be enabled as it operates through a wireless hotspot that isn’t available in the Scala through the Bolero but someone else may prove me wrong 

Actually, the systems are exactly the same, but I think it is not activated. I have seen a video of a Scala with a Bolero system and WLAN enabled, so it should be possible. Also in the official documentation of the certification, it says the bluetooth and WiFi hardware is there.

In my Scala a Bolero with part no. 654 035 869B is fitted. The Swing version with bluetooth and WiFi is part no 654 035 869A, see link: https://fccid.io/WUQ-MIB3HBTWIFI/External-Photos/External-Photos-3-4182511 The Swing version without WiFi has a part number ending with 867, see link: https://fccid.io/WUQ-MIB3HBT/External-Photos/External-Photos-4180533