2011 Octavia Scout - what to look out for

Deadeye

Hi all, 

Like the title says, is there anything in particular that i need to look out for before i take the plunge?

Obviously I'll be doing the usual buying checks; rust, leaks, hpi etc. But is there anything to watch for in this model?  

I'm not familiar with the haldex 4x4 system for example. 

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

Welcome to Briskoda B)

Diesel or petrol?

Manual or DSG (automatic)?

Do you have the mileage and service history?

The petrol engine is rare (1.8 TSI) nad problematic, best avoided.

The diesel is robust, but depending on mileage a 2011 won't be far from DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) issues.

The DSG and Haldex systems require relatively regular servicing. The Haldex needs fresh oil every 40,000 miles, and there is a filter that needs replacing. Unfortunately Skoda have not included the filter as part of the service so many cars suffer oil starvation due to clogged filters.

A lot of used Scout's are ex-paramedic cars, the tell-tale signs are easy to spot though. Well serviced yes, driven to within an inch of their life regularly, also yes. Best avoided unless it's really, really cheap.

The polished / diamond cut Proteus alloys suffer from corrosion, so check them carefully. Chances are they've already been refurbished.

Check the tyre sizes too, they are a relatively rare size meaning a lot of Scouts are running with the wrong tyre sizes.

The rear wiper motors are weak, check it's operation.

Check the spare wheel well, water ingress around the boot area is also common.

Service history is key. Most have been run on 'variable' (up to 20,000 miles / 2 years) rather than the preferred 'fixed' interval (10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first). Fresh oil is the lifeblood of the engine and turbo, the more oil changes it has had the better.

If you have the registration number check out it's MOT history for free here...

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

• Thanks 1