Engine Selection

marfrohun

On 26/11/2019 at 16:31, Gmac983 said:

In regards the octy Mk4. I'll stick with my view that VAG and their brand hierarchy have dropped the ball by not allowing the allready in use e-golf tech to be used in the new octy. Probably scared of losing crossbrand sales on their new VW ID3 model. 

I think the reason that VW have ditched the e-Golf is that a platform that needs to be capable of having a choice of ICE or BEV power is going to be a massive compromise compared with power specific platforms, but the costs of developing a platform specific to BEV are going to be very high. So by ditching the e-Golf they force anyone wanting a BEV to buy the ID3 and ensure more people go for that option.

Skoda I'm sure will be delivering models based on the ID3 platform in a year or two, once the initial demand for the VW variant has been met

^^^ I'm certain that's exactly how things will proceed. Hence my comment about brand hierarchy within the group not allowing skoda the tech straight away. As you say, once Vdub have had their potential sales success first then the tech will be allowed for sale down through VAG. 

My point with the e-golf was since it's  "old tech" then it wouldn't be a direct competitor to the id3 and therefore not really a threat. Also shouldn't be too costly to bolt e-golf bits into an octy Mk4, cheaply bringing skoda to the mainstream ev market but crucially not stepping on VWs toes too much... 

However it's VW and Audis party and they aren't ready to share the toys yet. 

Edited by Gmac983

• 6 months later...