Octavia mk 4 Press Kit and details

Have read one release that seems to suggest the estate (combi) version will be available 1-2 months before the hatch.

It seems that in some of the important markets (Germany etc) these outsell the hatch by over 2 to 1 so probably easier to concentrate on one body style for first few weeks of production.

Some interesting power output and performance figures for the 1.5 and 2.0 petrol engines. Also the fuel tank will be 10 litres smaller than the current car. And I wonder if there'll be a spirit level in the bottom of the steering wheel.

OCTAVIA_097.jpg

Edited by FlyingGecko

Am I right in reading that there is no manual 4x4 planned???

If so then that's the mk4 struck off the list for any future purchase...

On 14/11/2019 at 23:31, skomaz said:

That’s appears to be the case, unless other combinations are going to be added much later.

5 manual, 9 DSG combinations.  

As I've already commented on the separate thread about the m4. 2020 vRS, I hope it will be available with a manual transmission, or otherwise I'll be looking at something else for my next car.

Article in the special edition (no. 601) of Auto Express suggests the new vRS will be available with three powertrains, adding a plug-in hybrid to the existing petrol & diesel options.  The hybrid will be DSG only, but hopefully there will be a 6M option on the TSi and TDi variants.

Guess we'll have to wait until details of the vRS are released at some point next year, and then see what Skoda UK confirm.

On 14/11/2019 at 23:31, skomaz said:

Just out of curiosity why the aversion to autos? 

The way new car development is going manual transmissions will only continue to dwindle from model line ups. 

My Kodiaq I took delivery of earlier this year is my first foray into automatic cars, I doubt I will go back to manual now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gmac983 said:

Just out of curiosity why the aversion to autos? 

The way new car development is going manual transmissions will only continue to dwindle from model line ups. 

My Kodiaq I took delivery of earlier this year is my first foray into automatic cars, I doubt I will go back to manual now. 

Experience and preference - I'm driven plenty of automatics over the years as my parents have had them for donkeys years - and I've yet to find one I like and that does what I want it to when I want it to.

I know paddles are available but I still prefer the control of a manual and the tactile feedback as well as preferring to use the physical skills needed to change gear and coordinate changes myself.

• Like 1

Same here, but it makes sense for a vRS kind of car. Indeed I've configured my current car as a manual.

In the other hand, why would you want manual in any civil version? if I get vRS again, would prefer manual, but for any other option mainly without a driving spirit, what's the point.

Eventually when we're all humming around on electric power in whatever form that may be there'll be no gears at all. So if you still enjoy a manual transmission boys (or having a dog and barking yourself:angel:) then you better enjoy them while there still around. 

Edited by Gmac983

56 minutes ago, Gmac983 said:

Eventually when we're all humming around on electric power in whatever form that may be there'll be no gears at all. So if you still enjoy a manual transmission boys (or having a dog and barking yourself:angel:) then you better enjoy them while there still around. 

Both our cars are manuals, use less fuel than the DSG versions and cost less to buy and service. BTW we don't have a Dog and neither of us Bark even when listening to Ozzy Osborne.:tongueout:

On 18/11/2019 at 13:32, skomaz said:

Experience and preference - I'm driven plenty of automatics over the years as my parents have had them for donkeys years - and I've yet to find one I like and that does what I want it to when I want it to.

I know paddles are available but I still prefer the control of a manual and the tactile feedback as well as preferring to use the physical skills needed to change gear and coordinate changes myself.

I learnt those skills back in 1966 & I'm quite happy to forget them now........

The last manual I've driven was a 5 speed in a 1.6 diesel Octavia on holiday in Spain back in 2015. 

Good economy but that's the only good point, otherwise just slow, boring & tiresome.

After 300+k miles in manuals & approx 270+k miles in autos I'm very happy to be running 2 DSG cars, but that's my choice.

SWMBO also feels the same, & she's covered more manual miles than I have.

• Like 1