Suspension experts please

MarkyG82

I have been doing some reading on suspension setup and looking to clear some things up. I have fitted Bilstien B6 shocks to my Mk3 Octavia on standard springs. I'm happy with the fit and forget nature so don't want to go down the coilover route. 

I would however, like to talk springs and shock stroke. I'm and engineer and a mountain biker so have a solid understanding of suspension setup. What I am trying to understand is lowering springs. Even though eibach recommend the B8 shocks for lowering due to the shorter shock I am content that I will be able to fit shorter springs to the B6 with little issue.

Now I'm getting into the technical bit. Droop is how the wheel extends when unloading the suspension. The same (lowering) springs on longer (standard) shocks will offer increased droop. 

What I want to know is how this would affect ride and handling? I assume the inside of the car would lift on cornering rather than the outside compressing?

In a random forum talking about coilover setup I found a statement that more droop is better for rough environments and less droop better for track/smooth stuff. Assuming this to be true, would I benefit from lowering a small amount affectively giving me more static sag sitting at 40% into the travel or would I be better off sticking with the stock springs sitting at 25% sag. How would this affect ride? Are lowering springs generally progressive to prevent bottom out or are they simply a higher rate to provide a more sporty ride?

If I have explained things badly please say and I'll try again. Percentage figures are not correct. They are just for illustrative purposes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to hijack your thread, but how does the car feel on the B6?

I was thinking of going down that route, or with the B8 kit with lowering springs.

I don’t want comfort to be ruined, but I regularly carry a lot of heavy gear in the boot, and the suspension just seems too soft and saggy as it is!

Thanks,

Nick

Hi. It feels really good. Running slightly lower tyre pressure as the springs are noticeably stiffer. Also I have scrubbed the mud guards and engine cover a few times. Just need to go off to the side of speed bumps if loaded more than 1 or 2 people.

That's the bad points.

The car now handles much better. Motorway cruising is more stable. Mid corner bumps less upsetting. Drain cover hits more controlled. 

If it's purely for better control and load handling then I can definitely recommend the B6 shocks on standard springs. This setup alone made my standard suspension feel more like my mates vrs. The lowering springs made it into a fun car.

Thanks mate, really good information.

Looks like B6 shocks to start and then springs at a later date if I feel like it.

You’ve hit the nail on the head, as it’s just handling and load holding I want to improve.

Cheers,

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Lads need a help,

two front shocks need to be replaced on my S3 and now wonder🤔...should I go for same ones ori??or try it different make,brand,spec?

If stays with the maindealer ones they gonna cost with labour more than 1k cause of the DCC spec on my SS3.

Is there some other shocks worth to buy them than changing for the same ones😏

• 2 months later...
On 04/05/2020 at 01:22, szamoT1984 said:

Lads need a help,

two front shocks need to be replaced on my S3 and now wonder🤔...should I go for same ones ori??or try it different make,brand,spec?

If stays with the maindealer ones they gonna cost with labour more than 1k cause of the DCC spec on my SS3.

Is there some other shocks worth to buy them than changing for the same ones😏

Depends if you're looking to improve handling at the same time. With DCC you're limited in options unless you go for DCC delete and then are able to fit any shock out there.

Bilstein make B4 DCC as a OEM replacement so i'd at least consider those. The sportier model the B6 is a weird case. There's a B6 DCC available for the Golf but weirdly not for the Superb although i;m convinced the Golf model fits the Superb too. They share the B4 DCC model so no reason why the B6 DCC is not common, but you'd need Bilstein to look into this and confirm. In any case even for an as stock behaviour i'd go with Bilstein B4 DCC over the stock ones.