Looking for rough value of vrs estate

Hi folks, not been on here for ages, mostly because the car has been going well! Sadly the addition of a roof bars and a box have somewhat reduced street cred!!

Anyway, is there a specific forum/section for price checking?

I'm unfortunately having to sell the octy due to additional child arriving soon so trying to figure out whether just to trade in and avoid the hassle of a private sale or not... but there's nothing comparable on the big sites (rarely a petrol estate for sale in Scotland at all)

Also take it with the classified changes that I could pay to place an ad when the time comes?

Cheers 

Hope you're all well, life takes over from car forums these days for me!!

For a value simply enter your details ( accurately ) in to:

1: WeBuyAnyCar.com

2: Evanshalshaw

3: WeWantAnyCar.com

4: ArnoldClark

For what it's worth, it's been my experience that 1: and 2: from above have been consistantly low. I've sold thru 3: but find 4: to be the best values and easiest to deal with. I just sold my third car to Arnie today - very easy and I was given the exact valuation on the website. I must stress tho, you have to accurately describe the car.

People often make the mistake of valuing a car based on what it sells for or based on what some publication says it's worth or based on someone elses experience or based on a part ex. The only way you can get an accurate real-world price for your car is to use the above companies who are prepared to buy it from you. ( there will be others ).

Hope that helps

Edited by Guest

This comes up quite a bit and there's usually a whole debate about the above sites, which offers the best value, which ones change the price when they see the car etc.

Of course you can also sell it privately (eBay, auto trader) you'll likely get a better price for it than any of the above, less than garages sell for, obviously, but a bit more hassle to sell.

Auto trader does have a guide on it that'll value the car.  Looked comparable to the prices I was seeing around when I was buying.

Edited by Alex-W
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I've spoken to Arnold Clark already, I really want to get a handle on the private sale value - the advert prices on autotrader seem to be consistently 4-5k over what these sites tell you the car's worth for the petrol estates, so I could spend some money and get the car into showroom condition if these price are achievable and still get a good dunt extra 

I have always sold my cars privately. My last Land Rover was valued at between 22-23k by the above valuation sites. I sold it for well over 2k more than this. which for 10 days of effort Approx 3 hours of dealing with viewings and £80 in autotrader fees was well worth it. Ultimately I normally pick a private value that’s approx 70% of the way between webuyanycar valuation and a dealers forecourt site. Unless there are loads of private sales on autotrader to compare against.

use the whole country to compare values as people happily travel to buy cars now if they are right. I sold my LR to someone 180 miles away.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bugginbob said:

I have always sold my cars privately. My last Land Rover was valued at between 22-23k by the above valuation sites. I sold it for well over 2k more than this. which for 10 days of effort Approx 3 hours of dealing with viewings and £80 in autotrader fees was well worth it. Ultimately I normally pick a private value that’s approx 70% of the way between webuyanycar valuation and a dealers forecourt site. Unless there are loads of private sales on autotrader to compare against.

use the whole country to compare values as people happily travel to buy cars now if they are right. I sold my LR to someone 180 miles away.

thanks, it's the lack of other comparables that's making it tough to judge, so I've been using the ones on autotrader to put into arnold clark's site to compare, some big swings, I wonder what sort of profit they need to make on a trade in

I'll also have to buy a new wagon before I sell it too as we're down to one car which is another thing to add in the balance!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

I'll also have to buy a new wagon before I sell it too as we're down to one car which is another thing to add in the balance!

This is one of the reasons trade in values are lower than private sales.  You're paying for the convenience of not being without a car or having to pay out before replacing.

1 minute ago, MarkyG82 said:

This is one of the reasons trade in values are lower than private sales.  You're paying for the convenience of not being without a car or having to pay out before replacing.

true, the good thing negotiating with them for a car that you don't really want and trading in one you really do want gives you a strong position! (no matter how many times the wife elbows you when you are telling them to bugger off with their offers 😂)

• Haha 1

Personally I'd take the WBAC offer, the dealer prices and aim to get around half way between the two.

Yep, it's less convenient to yourself, however there's a significant financial reward and a significant discount to a buyer.

Only thing I'd say is that quite often people won't want to buy modified ones.  

• Thanks 1

Parker's website has proved very accurate in my experience - even more so if you pay a couple of ££ to adjust for spec and mileage. It's matched my dealer's (CAP?) figures almost to the pound the past three times I've compared them.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

thanks, it's the lack of other comparables that's making it tough to judge, so I've been using the ones on autotrader to put into arnold clark's site to compare, some big swings, I wonder what sort of profit they need to make on a trade in

I can answer that. I sold a car to arnie during the week for exactly the price they quoted me - £13800.  Next day it was on their website at just over £15600 which is exactly what I was expecting.

1: They obviously have to make a profit

2: They have to put a warranty on the car

3: They have to abide by far stricter rules than a private sale where there is little or no come back from the buyer.  ( I note the above example of a Land Rover but there's no way on earth I'd pay that sort of money to a private buyer )

4: And you'll know that in December Arnie starts his 'Real Sale' which lasts from mid december to end of January where they knock £££££'s off the sticker price of their car - i.e. they can advertise the above car with £500 off which makes the buyer think they're getting a bargain.

All depends on your car and how easy it is to sell / how many potential buyers you have. The car I sold was being advertised in garages for around £16,000, but even if I were to go half way and sell for £14,899 privately that mean I'm looking for someone who has cash and willing to take a risk that the clutch won't fail within a few weeks.

The best of it is, (and I've had similar experience before) I've found it to be cheaper to forget about part-ex a car and treat as two seperate transactions. A few years ago I was around £800 better off selling the car to one Arnie dealer and buying a car from another rather than buy/sell to the same dealership. And that was echod by my experience last week. Not sure what forum rules are about mentioning names, but whilst the sales guys I spoke to at the Skoda dealership over at Linwood were all helpful and approachable, the person they go to who approves the figures ( I take it it's their manager ) is an ar5e. He tried to tell me my car was a slightly duller shade on one side therefore had been in an accident. WTF? When I rejected their offer, I asked them to show me this flaw. So we gathered alongside the car ( the manager had disappeared back in to his hole by this time ) and the poor sales guy was left to play out the charade. Well I'm damned if I could see any shading and neither could my father who has 37 years experience in the paint shop of a coachbuilder. When we could find no evidence of shading, he then tried to say the car had slight orange peel. In places it did...  as did his brand new Skodas in the showroom, as does nearly every car on sale.  Jeez!  

It's not often I come across Arthur Daley types these days, but this guy must have thought I came up the Clyde in a banana boat.  I never realised I looked that stupid :D   If you do use Arnie, my advice would be to avoid Skoda Linwood. Not one other garage who appraised the car mentioned shading or orange peel or whatever his problem was. And that was me trading it in against his £30k motor !!!

Whatever route you take, good luck. What are you thinking of buying?

Edited by Guest

Cheers @Scot5 I'll stay away from Skoda in that case!! I'm looking at a major case of depression, I mean a ford S-Max or a Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 🤮

So far the guys at Arnold Clark Citroen in linwood have offered me the most, unfortunately it does need a bit of work to the bumper due to a careless wife! But I reckon I can get that fixed, get my mot done and sell the car at a reasonable profit, the cars I'm looking at are abundant but I just can't seem to get them to shift enough to make it worth my while, I just worry that the octy takes some damage in the meantime!

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 21:31, Scot5 said:

I can answer that. I sold a car to arnie during the week for exactly the price they quoted me - £13800.  Next day it was on their website at just over £15600 which is exactly what I was expecting.

1: They obviously have to make a profit

2: They have to put a warranty on the car

3: They have to abide by far stricter rules than a private sale where there is little or no come back from the buyer.  ( I note the above example of a Land Rover but there's no way on earth I'd pay that sort of money to a private buyer )

So by the time they have knocked some off for 'discount' and taken into account the points you raise they are not making much at all.  Maybe £100's on a multi thousand £ car.  Makes you realise why they need the turnover of vehicles.

That is how Arnold Clark built the business to the size it reached.  Then the other Dealership networks owned,

Get them in, flog, flog and flog again, some customers will never come back and some like how easy it is and return for car after car.

Turn lots over, make profits but dont be ignoring overheads so that you pay more taxes on profits than needed.

The dealership has everything on the sheet of cars coming in and then when selling. Their transport cost, valet, service, mot etc etc, 

that is costs to them so not making the profit look that good to HMRC, but they are showing high service and valet and transport costs.

Sell the Finance,

sell the Service Plan or even have it look like the Service Plan is part of the Deal and put it in with the finance, 

even have the buyer putting the VED on the cost you are showing to drive away and put it on the finance.

They are not going into receivership anytime soon. 

The UK is not that different.

Edited by Roottootemoot

1 hour ago, MarkyG82 said:

So by the time they have knocked some off for 'discount' and taken into account the points you raise they are not making much at all.  Maybe £100's on a multi thousand £ car.  Makes you realise why they need the turnover of vehicles.

Root is absolutely correct. They're not just selling a car, they're selling it with a finance package, they're selling it with GAP, they're selling it with paint protection etc. 

I'll give you the perfect example. I bought a car and paid £500 for a 5 yr service package. I decided to sell the car not long after it's 1st service and with less than 10k on the clock, it therefore it had four years remaining - the service package was on the car, not the owner - it was transferrable. I made this clear to AC when selling it - thought it a great selling point.

I noticed when AC advertised the car ( for around £1200 more than I paid for it ) there was no mention of the service package. A few months later I happened to be in the garage and the car was still for sale. I asked why no mention of the 4yr servicing? They replied on a car that new there's a good chance they'd sell their own service package.  Just goes to show that if you're buying a used car and you know the manufacturer sells cheap servcing packages with their new cars, it always best to check with said manufacturer is the car already has a package on it. Some poor sod may have been didled out of 2yr servicing. Worse still, A/C service package would mean you have your car serviced at A/C...   and that's a whole subject on it's own ( and an opportunity for A/C to make more money :nerd: ).

These guys are skilled at their job. And when I say job, I mean making money, not knowing everything about the car they're selling.

edit: just though - everytime you buy a car from A/C they add £25 worth of fuel and show you the receipt, many sales say it's non-negotiable. The line they feed you is "people were running out of petrol on the way home from the garage so we make sure theres' enough fuel in the car". Now I don't know how they're doing it, but I'm convinced thats another money making racket.  Could they be filling your car with £15 of fuel and showing you the receipt for the £25 of fuel they've filled their company car up with? :giggle:   I don't know but I wouldn't put it past them.

Edited by Guest