Citigo 1.0mpi strange noise

Fabiasi

My wife's citigo has developed a rather strange noise from the engine.

It is a continuous woooooooo noise and if you place your hand over the air intake of the airbox it stops.

Again if the little pipe from the airbox is removed and covered with your finger it stops.

My thoughts were that it was the PCV valve in the rocker cover but I have replaced this and the noise is still there ?

It definitely seems worse when the engine temperature is cold.

Has anyone else had this or is it possible it's something that we just haven't heard before ?

Thanks Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Does it sound like its maybe a vibration resonating in a pipe that has been slightly loosened/tightened kinda like how sometimes if the water pressure drops a smidge in your house the flow starts vibrations the pipes and they hum?

• 3 weeks later...

A pressure change in a hose can change it's stiffness, hence the way it resonates. Anything can change if you put your hand on it.

Is the noise more like a pure-ish tone (low pitched whistle) or buzzy (a mechanical resonance)?

Can you post a sound file or video - someone here may recognize it if they hear it!