Amazing MPG

tkn

I've had my brand new Skoda Superb since the end of Jan 2019 and have already put 39000 miles on it. I've noticed that passing 30k miles, the MPG has began to improve. See picture for an example of what I'm getting in a Superb MK3 2.0 TDI 150 SE hatch.

IMG_20191223_095212047~2.jpg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, tkn said:

I've had my brand new Skoda Superb since the end of Jan 2019 and have already put 39000 miles on it. I've noticed that passing 30k miles, the MPG has began to improve. See picture for an example of what I'm getting in a Superb MK3 2.0 TDI 150 SE hatch.

IMG_20191223_095212047~2.jpg

That will be nicely run in by the time it reaches the first M.O.T. in Jan 2022.:blush

3 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

@tkn

Do you take advantage of using 'Coasting Function' when the journeys allow?

Feel kinda thick asking this, but...what exactly is `Coasting Function`? I cannot find any reference to it in the manual.

4 minutes ago, mandp said:

Feel kinda thick asking this, but...what exactly is `Coasting Function`? I cannot find any reference to it in the manual.

Think you have to drive in Eco mode and when you lift off the accelerator it effectively disengages the gearbox and revs drop to idle speed saving fuel. Had it on a 2015 Octy Vrs TDi DSG. Quite odd when you look at the rev counter.:D

Different cars / models and engines with a DSG have Coasting Function work in different ways.

Some need to have it in ECO Mode, some just in D or S and 'Coasting function' enabled.

It means the DSG disengages from gear and you coast untill you need throttle or you touch the brake, or there is a load on the engine.

Instead of D6 or D7 it will show just 'D'.

Can really work well with a TDI & DSG, maybe not as well with a TSI, but still saves fuel.

eg

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/386035-dsg-coasting-in-eco-mode

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/470440-coasting-to-save-fuel

Edited by Roottootemoot

The S3 needs to be in Eco mode for it to work. As said above it is the equivalent of putting a manual car in neutral and 'coasting'. Yiou can check when it is coasting by looking in the driver info centre where it will say 'coasting'. 

Because the car is running in tickover mode fuel is still being used whereas, in modern engines, you use no fuel when you take your foot off the accelarotor. So to get the gain you might expect you have to use the coast wisely. (i.e maximising the use of the kinetic energy). Going downhill stretches take your foot right off the pedal and it will coast, approaching a stop point, take you foot off and coast etc etc.

Try it and be amazed at how far it can coast without  losing any significant speed. It will auto re-engage going downhill if you gain too  much speed; is instantly re-engaged if you touch either brake or throttle pedal.

I could get a few mpg more in my 220 TSI if I concentrated but found it more useful in making the drive smoother at slower speeds; less switch down to lower gears.

I don't think I have coast mode? I have a 2.0tdi 150 DSG 2019 (pre facelift)

3 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

Different cars / models and engines with a DSG have Coasting Function work in different ways.

Some need to have it in ECO Mode, some just in D or S and 'Coasting function' enabled.

It means the DSG disengages from gear and you coast untill you need throttle or you touch the brake, or there is a load on the engine.

Instead of D6 or D7 it will show just 'D'.

Can really work well with a TDI & DSG, maybe not as well with a TSI, but still saves fuel.

eg

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/386035-dsg-coasting-in-eco-mode

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/470440-coasting-to-save-fuel

Do you have the drive mode selection option? Comfort/dynamic/Eco. I dont know what central screen you have on an SE but that is where you find the option on higher spec models. 

Sorry I cant help more.