‘DTUK’ or ’TDi Tuning‘ power box for 190TDi DSG(7) 4x4

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experiences with the above tuning boxes on the 190ps TDi engine - ideally the 4x4 DSG (7 speed) variant.

I will be using my Superb for occasional towing (twin axle caravan approx.1700kgs) and the added extra torque will almost certainly be required.

Many thanks,

Steve :) 

Not on the 190, but I tried the DTUK box on our 170 TDi Yeti for a few thousand miles (on all the settings) and whilst it produced more power it also overfuelled the engine, (jet black tailpipes and MPG on CC at a steady 70MPH went down drastically).

So I removed it and had a Shark map put on, better power than the box, clean tailpipes and the MPG improved very slightly over standard.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

have a look at the superchips bluefin

it's basically a diy remap but you can remove and refit it anytime you want, ie anytime you need to take your car back to the dealer etc

i've got a bluefin on my caddy van, went from 102ps to 163ps, makes a massive difference and no problems at all.

vw charges nearly 3 grand extra for a 150bhp caddy van against a 102bhp but a remap costs a fraction of that price, so was a no brainer for me.

you'll get + 32bhp with  the 190 engine and torque goes up to 460 or there abouts

currently 20% off at the moment too, so can be had for around £400

37 minutes ago, 310golfr said:

have a look at the superchips bluefin

it's basically a diy remap but you can remove and refit it anytime you want, ie anytime you need to take your car back to the dealer etc

i've got a bluefin on my caddy van, went from 102ps to 163ps, makes a massive difference and no problems at all.

vw charges nearly 3 grand extra for a 150bhp caddy van against a 102bhp but a remap costs a fraction of that price, so was a no brainer for me.

you'll get + 32bhp with  the 190 engine and torque goes up to 460 or there abouts

currently 20% off at the moment too, so can be had for around £400

It’s not just bigger engine power though.

Usually you get bigger brakes etc.

The 190 does remap really well up to 220 BHP / 505Nm though, but also factor in for a 034 Motorsport dogbone insert as well though as the OE mount is crap.

16 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

It’s not just bigger engine power though.

Usually you get bigger brakes etc.

The 190 does remap really well up to 220 BHP / 505Nm though, but also factor in for a 034 Motorsport dogbone insert as well though as the OE mount is crap.

l'm pretty sure the only difference between the 102ps  and 150 ps caddy van is the power, 

before buying, i compared both engines in highline spec and i never seen any other differences to brakes etc

if theres is other differences, then fair enough, but if not vw taking the pi$$ with there pricing  😲

If a high torque increase is achieved through a remap on TDI 190, a DSG remap may be also to consider, to adjust the max torque as well as pressure on clutch plates to accept the torque increase and reduce slipping. This will enhance its life potential. 😉

Edited by Bap33

And for the engine, usually its not just a difference in ecu, very probably few engine bits are different to achive such power difference.

Still 150 looks more tunable than 190.

I used a DTUK CRD3 box, albeit on the 150ps Diesel. It worked well for about a year, but then started to throw up errors & put the car into limp mode. When I plugged it into the diagnostics it threw up a boost pressure sensor error. I got rid of the car and therefore the box not long after that as it was the end of its lease. 

Some people seem to run them with absolutely no issues at all though, and the team at DTUK are really friendly & helpful. 

• Thanks 1

On 28/12/2019 at 21:36, toni8b said:

And for the engine, usually its not just a difference in ecu, very probably few engine bits are different to achive such power difference.

Still 150 looks more tunable than 190.

IIRC there's the only two physical differences to the engine itself, camshaft and rods.  The turbo is also different.   

Both unit's 'safely' allow for 40-50 bhp increases.  I've had both and both remapped.  In stock form the 150 is my  favourite but tuned, the 184/190 has much more shove; the mid-range torque is pretty damn impressive. 

I did try a tuning box on my old 150 TDI Sportline and whilst it was a nice torque increase, the power curve seemed erratic.  A remap is the way to go IME.  

Edited by penguin17

On 28/12/2019 at 17:55, 310golfr said:

l'm pretty sure the only difference between the 102ps  and 150 ps caddy van is the power, 

My brother has the Caddy and is under the same impression.  He's looking at a remap. 

6 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

My brother has the Caddy and is under the same impression.  He's looking at a remap. 

i was told from a reliable source that the diesel engines in the caddy are all the same engines and the lower powered engines are just de-tuned.

that makes sense because you can get quite substantial gains from a remap ie more than double with the lower power engine which if i remember was  80bhp or even less.

i've got the dsg 102bhp from the factory which is  now 163 bhp with the bluefin  ] had to buy the 102 as vw did'nt do the lower powered engine in an auto] and the difference is massive from stock.

but anyone happy with a manual box might as well buy the 80bhp engine and just remap it as even cheaper.

i did have another look at the vw caddy spec online since posting lasting and it looks like you get 16 inch wheels with the 150 bhp engine but could'nt see anything else

• Like 1