Phone box dual USB

I have posted this on another platform but would welcome any suggestions...

As I understand it the Kodiaq comes with a double USB charging point in the phone box if the vehicle is destined for mainland Europe but vehicles destined for the UK only have one. Does anyone have any experience of swapping the single over to a double or ideas where one might get one? It's can't be that hard to do! 

I use Android Auto all the time so I need a power/data connection for my phone. The other outlet would be for SWMBO phone to charge it.
From an aesthetic view twin USB's are neater.
A twin USB cable adapter doesn't provide a data connection and the 1.0A output would take for ever to charge a phone. Most modern phones need a minimum of 2.0A to charge and run apps at the same time. I use cables with a 5.0A rating.
A multifunctional charging box frankly looks a mess and a plug in 12v twin USB adapter doesn't solve my problem.

TIA

This has been discussed before, but no one has attempted to retrofit the twin-USB insert into a single-USB UK-sourced Kodiaq.

The main issue for me would be that they're on opposite sides of the compartment, in the UK it is on the left, mainland Europe on the right.

Could this mean that the fitment might be slightly different? If you look at the lower left corner of the panel that the UK USB is mounted into, it has a slight radius / curve to it...

Left-side = UK - Single USB / Right-side = Mainland Europe - Twin USB

824445615_SkodaKodiaqSingleTwinUSB.thumb.png.6f112a5438fc96f565c285e898fe041d.png

@filmo was going to give it a try in this similar thread...

I am sure you'll be able to source one easily enough...

https://www.skoda-parts.com/catalog/kodiaq/spare-parts/electrical-equipment-289.html

How about you be our guinea pig!?

I trawled through service manuals and parts catalogues to try and achieve this, but gave up before purchasing anything. The curve in the panel was one problem that I couldn't work around without replacing all sorts of parts.

In the end I just purchased a twin USB port to sit flush in the 12V adapter. This one.

Mike

• Like 1

Yes.... having looked at both photos it would appear that may fail the 'is it really worth all the faff?' test. Ho hum, might have to go for the plug in adapter.

I find shooting off an email to Skoda UK, or posting on their social media telling them that their product managers really need to spend more time out speaking to customers (end users, not dealers) and less time behind their desks makes me feel lots better.

Makes no difference whatsoever to Skoda UK's woeful record of screw-ups, but it lowers my blood pressure.

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

I find shooting off an email to Skoda UK, or posting on their social media telling them that their product managers really need to spend more time out speaking to customers (end users, not dealers) and less time behind their desks makes me feel lots better.

Makes no difference whatsoever to Skoda UK's woeful record of screw-ups, but it lowers my blood pressure.

That made me smile.  I dashed off a complaint yesterday, about the website saying the new Citigoe EV has a battery of “38 kw/h“.  Surely a school kid knows that the “w” should be “W” and that kilowatt hour is kilowatts TIMES hours, not PER hour!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, weldion said:

I have a swedish Kodiaq with Phone Box and only got one USB there.

This is an option (190 eur here), comes with additional USB and 230 V sockets for rear seat.

Columbus has 2 USB sockets as standard though.

Edited by linni

17 minutes ago, linni said:

This is an option (190 eur here), comes with additional USB and 230 V sockets for rear seat.

Columbus has 2 USB sockets as standard though.

I have the Columbus, but not 2 USB sockets.

Must be market specific. Means Swedish Skoda importer decided that Columbus spec must be like this.

We have here Columbus with 2 sockets as standard.

Years ago I wanted to order vented seats for my Mondeo. But couldn`t.

All Estonian Fords were imported through Finnish importer, who decided, that Finnish people (and Estonian) do not need vented seats. Even if you are willing pay ton of money for that.

Anyone contemplating installing a 12V to 5V USB adapter..... these items, especially the cheap ones, have a reputation for interfering with the DAB reception. Tried 4 in my current car (2015 Golf) before I found one which had the least effect on DAB (good old Amazon, refunded with no arguments). If you only drive in good DAB signal areas you'll be fine, and if the radio switches seamlessly to FM in poor DAB areas, you may not notice the DAB dropout. Depends on how good the aerial is in the Kodiaq: sure hope it's better than our Golf

I recall seeing a whole thread on this subject in another Skoda forum, but can't recall which one, sorry.

In contrast, our other car, a Toyota Yaris, has brilliant DAB reception, because it has a proper whippy aerial, and is totally unbothered by even the 'worst' 12V/5V USB adapter....