buying advice

Currently have a base spec 2016 Fabia on PCP, ending in May. Got great deal - £100 a month and £700 deposit. great car for what it is - mechanical and fun as you have to work very hard to make progress :)

After owning a mapped mark fabia VRS and a mark 2 Octy VRS, I need some VRS back in my life though!

Looking at a 2014/15 Mk3. ideally petrol, but these seem pretty rare. 

I do little mileage on it (roughly 8-10000/year) - mostly a 10 mile commute, so I think I should avoid CR diesel due to DPF. I've been bitten once before by DPF in a ford TDCi, and I don't want those issues again. Are my worries correct?

Any issues to note on the petrol VRS? I know about water pump. 

Budget is between £9-12k

Thoughts? 

1 minute ago, Sonic_Vrs said:

Currently have a base spec 2016 Fabia on PCP, ending in May. Got great deal - £100 a month and £700 deposit. great car for what it is - mechanical and fun as you have to work very hard to make progress :)

After owning a mapped mark fabia VRS and a mark 2 Octy VRS, I need some VRS back in my life though!

Looking at a 2014/15 Mk3. ideally petrol, but these seem pretty rare. 

I do little mileage on it (roughly 8-10000/year) - mostly a 10 mile commute, so I think I should avoid CR diesel due to DPF. I've been bitten once before by DPF in a ford TDCi, and I don't want those issues again. Are my worries correct?

Any issues to note on the petrol VRS? I know about water pump. 

Budget is between £9-12k

Thoughts? 

I've owned both the diesel Vrs DSG hatch in Rallye Green which averaged 45mpg (best of 66mpg) bought in January 2015 (no Sat Nav as standard on early models became standard from mid 2015) and a new in August 2017 Vrs245 petrol which averaged 40mpg over 29,000 miles and recently replaced with a petrol Superb 272. The 7,000 mile diesel Vrs cost me £20,500, the new Vrs245 cost me £28,100 and the 5,000 mile (9 month old) Superb cost me £23,840. The two petrols are way better than the diesel and the Superb just shades the 245 on overall ability. Early 220 Vrs petrols don't have the e-diff so putting down the power can be tricky while not all 230's had the e-diff either. All 245's have the e-diff and it does make a big difference to the way they drive.:biggrin:

• Thanks 1

It depends what sort of miles they are.  My 10 mile commute is country roads so not so much stop-start.  I have also disabled the stop/start feature to allow the exhaust to maintain heat to further resist DPF issues.

27 months in and not had any issues.  Oh yeah I also use posh diesel 90% of the time.  Should help keep it all good too.

If you are commuting through town in slow traffic and not able to maintain exhaust temps then a good blast every other weekend should keep it good.  Don't believe all the horror stories.  The internet breeds fear.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sonic_Vrs said:

is the CR TDI that bad a choice for someone doing ~8-10000 per year? Will I have DPF issues?

there are very little petrol versions around...

I do the same commute distance and had the same issue finding a petrol. 3 years on, with a 64 plate diesel vrs, havent had a single issue. You can tell when it's doing the regen and just keep it running a bit longer....or get a £10 ODB2 dongle and Vag DPF app and just check it every week or so to see when it's likely to need a little run down the dual carriageway. 

• Thanks 1