Dashboard lights out

Hello all. I have an issue with the instrument cluster lights. Some have burned out and it's turning dark, in addition to some lights like the check engine and so on. Is there a fix or should I change the whole unit? 

The cluster doesn't use bulbs, they are tiny SMD LEDs soldered to the PCB.

There is a guide for an Octavia here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/425611-instrument-cluster-led-replacment/

It'll be a very similar process for a Superb although the cluster removal will be different and you may need a different number of new LEDs.

3 minutes ago, langers2k said:

The cluster doesn't use bulbs, they are tiny SMD LEDs soldered to the PCB.

There is a guide for an Octavia here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/425611-instrument-cluster-led-replacment/

It'll be a very similar process for a Superb although the cluster removal will be different and you may need a different number of new LEDs.

If anyone doesn't fancy having a go at replacing the surface-mounted LEDs that illuminate the instrument cluster themselves then I can thoroughly and wholeheartedly recommend a small company called Totaltronics; they're located between Coventry and Rugby and will do the job for you speedily and efficiently.  Take a look at:

https://totaltronics.com/cat/skoda/

I recently had a partial failure of the illumination of the instrument cluster in my 11-plate Skoda Superb (Mk 2) Estate; the background illumination of the fuel gauge and the water temperature gauge had become intermittent.  I had arranged to take the car to Patryk at Totaltronics at 11:00am today; he removed the instrument cluster and replaced not only the one or two failing LEDs that illuminate the fuel and water temp gauges but he also replaced all the other 16 (or was it 18?) surface-mount LEDs that illuminate the entire cluster.  He then refitted the cluster to the car, all within about an hour while I waited.  The end result is excellent - all the instruments are now fully and clearly illuminated so I wonder if I'd previously suffered some other LED failures that weren't as apparent as the failures of the LEDs that illuminate the fuel and water temp gauges.

The cost of the work was £160 which might sound a bit steep but it's almost certainly an awful lot cheaper than trying to get a replacement instrument cluster, bought from some dubious source on the Internet, coded so that it'll operate fully and correctly in your car!

It's rare to find such competent and speedy service these days, so I can wholeheartedly recommend Patryk's skills and diligence.

--

Martin

On 21/01/2020 at 16:45, AMartinD said:

The cost of the work was £160 which might sound a bit steep but it's almost certainly an awful lot cheaper than trying to get a replacement instrument cluster

Absolutely. Good Info.