Retrofitted Webasto / coding in 2020 Superb

Hi,

Expecting to receive my new Superb start of March. I have ordered a retrofitted Webasto heater with SMS module from the Skoda dealer (not factory fitted due to tax issues).

Having Googled myself bloddy, I can't figure out if it's possible to activate so the heater can be controlled/show status from the car or if I'm "stuck" with the SMS control?

Anyone knows? I can only assume that the dealer will only do what's "allowed".

You can add a small push button with red light. When it is blinking you know that the heater is on. Then just push the button to stop it. Very simple. I have had it for ages in my cars. Only retrofitted heaters.

For simple turning on and off, even the factory fitted system doesn't have more buttons or information than what @Harzai5 suggested.   You get a small button next to the Climate temperature dial, press it once and the heating turns on and the button lights up, press it again and it turns it off. Maybe you can do it via the infotainment too from the Climate menu but I haven't ever tried since there is a physical button for it in the console, so no need to fiddle with the screens.
Capture.thumb.JPG.13923c2ccbf3c1392941d325432aa4d5.JPG

Now if you mean about controlling/setting a schedule, that one you can do via infotainment or the Skoda Connect app so no idea if it is available on retrofitted systems.

Thanks for that clarification. It would be neat to be able to utilize the scheduling in the infotainment in addition to the SMS control. I don't know if potentially enabling the heater in the infotainment, also make it possible for the heater to control the heat settings. From what I've found, you need to turn the temperature all the way up, before switching off the engine. Otherwise the coolant will not get warm.

Edited by mrwee

12 hours ago, mrwee said:

From what I've found, you need to turn the temperature all the way up, before switching off the engine. Otherwise the coolant will not get warm.

I assume you mean for the retro-fitted systems?  Because I simply turn it on when I need it via the mobile app mostly so I am not aware of any other prerequisites for it to work properly.

10 hours ago, newbie69 said:

I assume you mean for the retro-fitted systems?  Because I simply turn it on when I need it via the mobile app mostly so I am not aware of any other prerequisites for it to work properly.

Yes.  When you say app, do you mean Webasto's?

Overall my understanding is that retro-fitted heater will not be integrated into neither the infotainment nor the Skoda App.

1 hour ago, mrwee said:

Yes.  When you say app, do you mean Webasto's?

Overall my understanding is that retro-fitted heater will not be integrated into neither the infotainment nor the Skoda App.

I meant the Skoda Connect app. There is one page in it from where you can set all options for the Aux heating system.  I use it from there as it's easier to access everything whenever you need it without planning in advance or going close to the car for the remote to work. The parking at work is quite far from my office so I'd need around 8min + 8min back to walk close to it and start it from the remote. The lack of integration in the Skoda Connect or at least infotainment for a fixed schedule (although I don't always have a fixed schedule) would be an issue in my case.

Screenshot_20200115_224055_cz.skodaauto.connect.thumb.jpg.ba00c1cc2db9fbf067c40c960d2cf913.jpg

You can retrofit it with a factory webasto. That will have the controller card that can be coded into the systems.
That's (a lot) more expensive than "generic"  Webasto units. And they can NOT be integrated with the cars systems - other than give an input to the climatronic.
The "brain" is different.

9 hours ago, OH2FTU said:

You can retrofit it with a factory webasto. That will have the controller card that can be coded into the systems.
That's (a lot) more expensive than "generic"  Webasto units. And they can NOT be integrated with the cars systems - other than give an input to the climatronic.
The "brain" is different.

ok, I don't think a retrofitted factory webasto is within the budget. Sounds like that's the case with @newbie69's setup. So mine will be a "generic" Webasto. But as long as the heater can tell the climatronic what it needs to do, then I'm happy when I also can control it with SMS :)

18 hours ago, mrwee said:

ok, I don't think a retrofitted factory webasto is within the budget. Sounds like that's the case with @newbie69's setup. So mine will be a "generic" Webasto. But as long as the heater can tell the climatronic what it needs to do, then I'm happy when I also can control it with SMS :)

Mine was part of the factory spec though, not retrofitted.

Just so as not to cause any misunderstanding that the options/features I mention are available with retrofitted systems, Webasto or not, I have no idea about it. I can only speak about the factory fitted Webastos.

5 hours ago, newbie69 said:

Mine was part of the factory spec though, not retrofitted.

Just so as not to cause any misunderstanding that the options/features I mention are available with retrofitted systems, Webasto or not, I have no idea about it. I can only speak about the factory fitted Webastos.

In that case, the information causes more confusion than it is helpful, considering the subject.

I thought I made it clear in my first post, which was about how the factory fitted system compared to the retrofitted one, in terms of console controls: No different than having a simple on/off button.

If the rest of my posts created some misunderstanding, it should hopefully be clear now that I was only talking about a factory fitted Webasto.

• 2 weeks later...

An update to this..

The car was delivered with retrofitted Webasto heater and a ThermoConnect TCon2 module. Now I can control the heater and geolocate the car, via an Webasto app. It uses data and not SMS like the old model. I also got a small black button mounted in the dashboard where I can start/stop the heater manually.

It seems like the TCon2 module has a lot of settings including W-Bus, so it's going to be interesting to see how well it communicates with the climatronic.

• 11 months later...

I did have some issues with "Departure time", haven't re-tested recently. The button works well and looks nice. The Webasto App also works fine. There's a yearly fee for the Webasto services, which you need to be aware of. I see you're living in Denmark,  so from tax reasons (If it's a company car), I'd absolutly recommend a retrofit.

• Thanks 1