I've been OVLOV'ed ?

Learned to drive on my father's 144, passed my test on his 244 but have not driven any of his since the 740 diesel.

Would love one but even the V60 boot is too small and SWMBO won't have one (because my father has always had one and will see it as finally doing what he thinks we should do)

Sounds good ,how does the slush box compare to DDG? are changes  slower ?i would expect no jerk on pulling away like DSG. Poss looking at V90 estate when lease expires, we have 2.0 TDI sel exec at the moment and space will be hard to beat .some very good lease prices on V90 at the moment ,similar to superb but a near 40k car .

Edited by 2wheelsgood
Spelling

@2wheelsgood

The slush box is anything but these days.  There are some videos around that outline the engineering design and technology that is now used in these transmissions. A bit different from the old Borg Warner auto boxes I had in some Jags all those years ago!

Volvo use the Aisin 8 speed in the S60 (and probably all other models as well), In everyday driving it is much smoother on both up and down changes. I am not really aware of most changes. I also think it pulls away from a stand not only smoothly but also is a bit quicker into its stride; no evidence of slip and it certainly feels a lot less aggresive than the DSG set up. To be fair 8 gears in the box against 6 in the DSG will have something to do with all that but the end result is much more comfortable

You can't spec paddles on my model but the push to the left on the gear lever puts it into sport semi- manual gear mode for when you feel the need for more direct control. However, at the moment I am finding that the box reacts quickly enough for all overtaking, acceleration etc. The other noticeable benefit is that I no longer have to fight the in/out jerk when maneouvring at slow speed, simply creep back or forward. 

I have to declare an interest though. I have never been a devotee of dual clutch transmissions in everyday cars. There may be an advantage for out and out sports/track cars but otherwise they are mismatch. Aston Martin use the Aisin transmission so thats a good enough indicator for me.  

• Like 1

Have to agree. Having recently gone from several DSG ‘boxes to a torque converter, I don’t miss the jerky low speed manoeuvring or the frantic feel on acceleration. 

Also, the ‘box in my car has virtually imperceptible changes, as you describe. 

I think DSG / S-Tronic was a step forward for automatic transmissions 10 or more years ago, but torque converters have come on a long way in the interim.  

At the sportiest end of the spectrum (PDK / Ferrari) I’m sure DCT is probably still the optimum, but for the rest of us, I think a torque converter with paddles might be preferable now for a quickish car. 

Enjoy your Volvo! 

• Like 2

On 15/01/2020 at 17:34, Sagalout said:

@2wheelsgood

The slush box is anything but these days.  There are some videos around that outline the engineering design and technology that is now used in these transmissions. A bit different from the old Borg Warner auto boxes I had in some Jags all those years ago!

Volvo use the Aisin 8 speed in the S60 (and probably all other models as well), In everyday driving it is much smoother on both up and down changes. I am not really aware of most changes. I also think it pulls away from a stand not only smoothly but also is a bit quicker into its stride; no evidence of slip and it certainly feels a lot less aggresive than the DSG set up. To be fair 8 gears in the box against 6 in the DSG will have something to do with all that but the end result is much more comfortable

You can't spec paddles on my model but the push to the left on the gear lever puts it into sport semi- manual gear mode for when you feel the need for more direct control. However, at the moment I am finding that the box reacts quickly enough for all overtaking, acceleration etc. The other noticeable benefit is that I no longer have to fight the in/out jerk when maneouvring at slow speed, simply creep back or forward. 

I have to declare an interest though. I have never been a devotee of dual clutch transmissions in everyday cars. There may be an advantage for out and out sports/track cars but otherwise they are mismatch. Aston Martin use the Aisin transmission so thats a good enough indicator for me.  

Thanks ,glad they've moved on since my old man's triumph 2500 3 speed with O Drive !to be fair our 7 speed Dsg changes are un noticeable as well ,just the initial pull away that's not perfect ,would never go back to manual now especially with ACC so useful in traffic .

I made the journey in the opposite direction so now I'm un OVLOV ed, so to speak.

Had a 480ES in the early 90's, fabulous sporty car for a Volvo of that era but became impractical and from the early 2000's started on SUV's ( Honda CRVs etc) but when I saw the XC60 I thought in that class it was a thing of beauty (the new one I think is fuggly!).  Got my first in 2010 and it really was a huge step up in class from the Honda.  Enjoyed so much I got a facelift edition in 2014 but that has been a real PITA, not the car itself - a lovely relaxing drive - so much as the pre-adblue D4 engine.  It's on its 4th recall as the EGR keeps shoving carbon into the inlet side of the engine.  Upshot was over the late summer the EML came on and pressure tests showed it needed a major top end rebuild (new cylinders, injectors, valves etc) - 17hrs labour about £3=4K retail, Volvo picked up the tab but I was 4th in the queue just at that dealers for the same work!

Picking a petrol engine T5 dodged you a bullet though later D4's (which may have cured the problem?) did have adblue but not until 17/18.  Upshot was a car I intended as a keeper I had no faith in the engines longevity so quit.

From a 5yr old Volvo to a new Superb certainly doesn't feel like a move downmarket and a new V90 is about £10K dearer so you would expect it to feel more premium.  Can't comment on the Volvo auto compared to the DSG as I've only previously owned manuals for 50yrs but 8 speed seemed very well liked by most, the previous 6 speed less so.  I'm gradually making friends with it but low speed manoeuvres are still to be perfected, not easy like slipping the clutch.  Volvo seats are the stuff of legends but I can't say I've got out of the Superb thinking my back or @rse have been giving me gip, so no reason the complain thus far.  The satnav was pretty hopeless in the 2010 model so I didn't bother in the 2014 one (£1200 extra!), whether Sensus is any better now I don't know.

Enjoy your Volvo, I did until the bitter end, overall very good, enjoyable motors with a premium feel and dealer prices to match!!  The forum I used was HERE.

Lots of knowledgeable posters, some good discussion and not too many keyboard warriors. 

Edited by IanW5177
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1