Front and rear lights as bright as a single glow worm in a cave

Hi all,

I appreciate that coming from Xenons in the Octavia that it is a more pronounced difference than it would otherwise have been. I have also read a lot of posts about this issue but I wondered what the current opinion is.

My front side lights are pretty awful, the dipped beam projectors are awful the light level is barely useable, main beam is fine though. I do a lot of my driving through country lanes and single lane A roads and find that the car’s coming the other way very dazzling and my eyes take a few seconds to adjust.

fitting Xenons is not really an option (we would have to do the same to the roomster too) so what do people suggest these days?

Also the reverse light may as well not be there, is there an easy way, without replacing the osr cluster to an EU one and fitting the rear fog elsewhere to improve it? I appreciate that the reverse light is not designed to illuminate the area behind the vehicle, but when having to reverse down country lanes with no rear visibility is not a safe option to not be able to see behind me.

• Like 1

I fitted Phlips extreme bulbs in the headlights, made a significant improvement "imo", but more important than that is to put the vehicle on a beam setter and get the headlights adjusted spot on, mine were "down" a bit, which was OK for MOT purposes as they are only interested in them not blinding other drivers, but moving them up to the allowable limit also made a big difference.

And I totally agree with the reverse light, it's useless, 2 would have been better and then I would suggest some bright CAN enabled LED bulbs, which can actually produce some light for reversing.

I'm constantly looking for a retro fit rear fog light so I can add a LHD cluster to the O/S to add that additonal reverse light, just not found anything that would look "right" yet.

this would 100% improve the current reverse lamp, if there was 2, it would be a significant light output to reverse by.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/382-twenty20-cree-led-12v-p21w-canbus-bayonet-bulb.html

Edited by UrbanPanzer

Brilliant, thanks I’ll take a look at them and see if they make a difference, I’ll report back with pictures when I get around to getting some and fitting them.

I’d seen suggestions of retro fit HIDs and LEDs but they’re a much more expensive solution, and seem to be some debate on the legality for on road use

I fitted an LED to my reversing light, made a bit of an improvement. Still have to resort to the old school method of using hazard warning lights when reversing in unlit lanes etc. Obviously not on all the time but certainly helps a lot.

I’ve just been told off by the wife, she came in to the room to hear me saying “wow that’s really pretty” in reference to the lights. She is now debating strapping a headlight to her head 😀.

They are really nice looking lights. How much were the projectors for that little mod?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dancingbear84 said:

I’ve just been told off by the wife, she came in to the room to hear me saying “wow that’s really pretty” in reference to the lights. She is now debating strapping a headlight to her head 😀.

They are really nice looking lights. How much were the projectors for that little mod?

They were about £250 from The Retrofit Source

13 hours ago, dancingbear84 said:

As long as she doesn't start flashing her headlights at oncoming drivers!

• Like 1