Skoda Fabia 1.2HTP Spark Plugs

mealmond

Hi

I changed my plugs last year but I did not check the gap for the plugs.

I had an issue recently where the engine went into limp mode, changed one coil pack on the cylinder showing an error and all was fine, until tonight.

Driving home, approaching a roundabout and set off, bit of a power loss, engine light on, engine running badly.

I pulled over and restarted the car, and all was ok again, no error codes on VCDS.

I am ordering a spare coil pack just in case, but now i am wondering about the spark plugs, I am either going to take them out and check the gaps and re use, but thought if I was doing that I may as well just replace them, just as a fail safe.

I'm aware there may be bigger possible issues, but thinking back this issue has happened twice since I changed the plugs, but changing the coil pack last time worked, it showed an error on cylinder 3.

I'm wondering which plugs people would recommend for my engine, I would prefer to pay for a decent plug, but not sure which would be best to buy.

Thanks

Martin

It isn't critical, plugs are generally gapped right out of the box, I always check them but they're always good to go. It doesn't matter what brand you choose, they all work the same, if you changed them already then you're good.

Thanks sepulchrave, I thought the gaps may be preset, I was just wondering if one of the plugs was causing the issue.

I have a horrible feeling it may be a cylinder issue, it has happened twice now, and you sometimes feel a slight hesitance when driving.

I think I will buy a spare coil pack just in case, but try new plugs as well to cover everything.

Martin

I have run another scan this morning and there is now a stored fault showing a misfire on cylinder 2, the last time this happened it showed the same fault on cylinder 3, and I changed the coil pack and that solved the issue until now.

All 3 coil packs were changed about two years ago, I'm beginning to wonder about the quality of what was fitted, it seems odd one caused an issue after about twelve months and now about six months further on there is a possible issue with another cylinder/coil pack.

I have order another coil pack anyway, so I may just replace it and I have ordered some better quality plugs so I will fit those at the same time.

Martin

My advice would be get a compression test done. I’ve got a 1.2 6v and as many on here will tell you they are renowned for burning exhaust valves. I’m currently in the process of fixing the issue. The misfire will come and go and if the EML shows up whilst sat at lights etc add some revs 1500 plus and it will go away most of the time... well until they are completely knackered lol

I tried plugs, ignition coils and injectors and turned out to be burnt valves. 

• Like 1