Low Oil pressure warning / No power and a Whining

I was making my way home last night from  Work and plodding along in Rush hour traffic. As I pulled away from Traffic Lights my "Low Oil Pressure" warning lit up with three bongs...the car lost power and I could barely make 20mph.

I couldn't stop where I was so I had to limp to a Car park on an industrial estate a short distance away. As I drove it, whilst (Slowly) gaining speed, there was a Whistle / whining from the Engine and another noise, which I cannot explain, sort of like spinning bearings in a tin is probably the best way to explain it. 

The car starts and ticks over but I haven't tried to drive it after getting home. 

When I switch it off, it carries on making a noise  (See video link)

any ideas? Going to have to try and get it to a Garage somehow 😞 

https://youtu.be/RQcStfylH4Q

• Sad 1

That sounds like the turbo, it keeps on spinning after the engine is shut down.

The problem is the low oil pressure, really you shouldn’t have drove it, soon as the light came on it should have been knocked off. With low oil pressure normally the turbo fails 1st. 

You could also have other issues if oil hasn’t been getting pumped around the engine 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Snapper1725 said:

That sounds like the turbo, it keeps on spinning after the engine is shut down.

The problem is the low oil pressure, really you shouldn’t have drove it, soon as the light came on it should have been knocked off. With low oil pressure normally the turbo fails 1st. 

You could also have other issues if oil hasn’t been getting pumped around the engine 

Thanks for the response.

I know I shouldn't have driven it, but I had no choice as I was driving in single lane roadworks 😞 

I have never heard the Turbo spin after shutting Engine down so I assume it is louder due to Oil issue? (I'm not as mechanic minded like I was in my younger days) 

Are there any "obvious" things to look for before I call in the Mobile mechanic? Need to keep costs down as we was planning on trading the Car in for another Skoda, so don't want to be throwing money at it like I would if I was keeping it 😞 

Yes the turbo carry’s on spinning after you knock the engine off it’s normal, ideally you should let the car idle for a while before knocking it off to allow the turbo to slow down with oil being pumped through, but I would say many of us don’t do that.

I think the noise is due to the turbo failing so the vanes are catching the turbo housing.

A guy from work with a diesel Passat that lost oil pressure and it turned out to be the oil pump hex drive that had worn and failed. It also cost him a turbo.

It would be worth getting someone to check it out 1st though.

you May be able to take the inlet side of the turbo off and check for play in the vane bearings but don’t know what that involves 

Edited by Snapper1725
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snapper1725 said:

Yes the turbo carry’s on spinning after you knock the engine off it’s normal, ideally you should let the car idle for a while before knocking it off to allow the turbo to slow down with oil being pumped through, but I would say many of us don’t do that.

I think the noise is due to the turbo failing so the vanes are catching the turbo housing.

A guy from work with a diesel Passat that lost oil pressure and it turned out to be the oil pump hex drive that had worn and failed. It also cost him a turbo.

It would be worth getting someone to check it out 1st though.

you May be able to take the inlet side of the turbo off and check for play in the vane bearings but don’t know what that involves 

Thanks again :)

I have been told the "low pressure" is down to a suspected Oil Pump failure by local mechanic and is going to be an expensive repair, especially with a new or recon Turbo to boot.

Now I am in a quandry, as I was planning on trading the Superb in to go back to a 2013 to 2015 Octavia. So, costwise it isn't going to pay back - The car is only worth £1500 on a Trade in. 

6 hours ago, Snapper1725 said:

How did you get on with your car ? 

Sadly it was not economically viable to repair. So had to go to Car heaven. I was going to trade it in anyway, so spending more than trade in repairs was pointless. 

Just picked up a 15 Plate Octavia today to replace it with.