Water Ingress (Passenger Footwell)

Upon purchasing the Octavia last weekend - it wasn't until the following day I noticed that the passenger footwells was really damp.  My initial thoughts were that, this might have been because when it was taken to the car handwash (not by myself), and excessive water was used during the wash?

This prompted me to pry away some of the lower door trim, and pull back the carpet area - the area was "soaked"  over the following days I packed the area out with high absorbing paper towel - which has really helped by soaking up all the excess water.  My only guess is that water must be getting in via this plug/gromet/whatever you call it, lol.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm thinking about getting under the car later, and using tigerseal on the underside of this.

(PS, it's worth noting that on the driverside, the underside of the same thing is covered up in duct tape!!  I noticed this when looking under the car (before purchasing it).  Didn't think much of it, until I see this on the passenger side footwell)

Thoughts?

83625496_10157174596899891_3379328853162852352_o.jpg

I’d be very surprised if it’s coming from the floor, have you got a sunroof? Also check the door drain holes.

it could also be coming from the rear of the car and running down, a Mondeo I have recently purchased had water ingress from wiring grommets for the rear hatch, it was coming down the C pillar and across the rear bench into the foot wells.

Edited by Vrsburnzy

• 3 months later...

Mk2 Octavia Scout

At the rear of the front wheel arches, where it meets the floor pan, there is a small diameter rubber hose which is terminated with flat section.  When the water draining from the drain hole  in the open area at the outside base of the windscreen builds up the pressure opens the flattened rubber hos/pipe and it drains out to the roadway.  However, the design is flawed, because any debris, dirt or dust will settle on top of the flattened hose and cause a blockage, causing the water to back up and leak into the cabin footwell.

This is a separate problem to a leaking sunroof, which occurs when the drain holes and their connected hoses/pipes block up with leaves/dirt/dust causing the water to leak into the cabin down the inside fabric lining of the windscreen pillar.

In the case of the sunroof leak, the fix is to gently pour a few drops of car wash detergent into the top of the drain and gently wash it down the drain hole. keep doing this until it drains freely.

With the blocked pipes draining the channel at the base of the windscreen, do the same, followed by  strong high pressure blast from the hos to open the flattened hose at the bottom and wash the built up blockage away.

It’s coming from the doors. Very common problem on the mk2. When the doors are closed, the drain holes are blocked by the door seals. The water then builds up in the door and overflows from behind the door card, down onto the kick plate then into the car. This has been covers many times on the forum.