DPF Concerns

Hello all!

After a lot of research and test driving my wife and I settled on a 2017 Skoda Fabia. We absolutely fell in love with it at the dealership and I think we asked the right questions. However, I'm beginning to become a bit concerned thinking about the DPF. I've read some horror stories about these filters needing to be replaced and costing a fortune. At the moment we won't be making consistent long journeys on the motorways until I start my new job but we will try to take it for a couple long road trips (300km round trip on the motorways) in the next couple months. 

The car has 80,000km and is in great condition. I didn't ask the dealer about the DPF and I feel like an idiot about it. Any tips for my peace of mind would be greatly appreciated.

T

My little 1.4 tdi fabia does a mix of everyday short journey's (<4 miles),  a trip 20 miles away once a week, a 50 mile trip once every two weeks and a mix of longer journeys.

I knacked my shoulder last year and even then with a month of only short journeys, it didn't complain.

Unless all you are doing is start stop city miles for a long period, I wouldn't worry.

14 minutes ago, abaxas said:

My little 1.4 tdi fabia does a mix of everyday short journey's (<4 miles),  a trip 20 miles away once a week, a 50 mile trip once every two weeks and a mix of longer journeys.

I knacked my shoulder last year and even then with a month of only short journeys, it didn't complain.

Unless all you are doing is start stop city miles for a long period, I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for the response abaxas . I guess I should have mentioned it’s a 1.4TDI. Any tips on upkeep of the car ?

There is also a theory that if not doing many long journeys, use the more expensive premium diesel, which has a better cetane rating

Basically if you create less soot and ash, then less likely to clog the filter

Obviously this premium fuel is better for environment in urban areas because of this.

53 minutes ago, abaxas said:

Nothing special other than the knowledge that the water pump is a known issue with that engine.

I don't see that as a reason not to buy one.

Is it an issue I should be concerned about? Seems like a recurring issue for many people with this engine. 

It is an issue to be aware of. 

You want to know if the Service Campaign change of coolant has been done. If a replacement water pump or more than one has been fitted.

As to Diesel Cetane ratings, look at a Shell Pump and the Shell Diesel & the Shell V-Power diesel and then see what the cetane difference is *Is there numbers on the pump?*

of the Premium Product with the extra detergents.

Same with BP Diesel or Premium.  

Drive it and enjoy it. You're doing the right kind of mileage for a diesel. If anything the DPF will be fine, more likely an air intake sensor, or flexi pipe will fail. If you're worried, Forte diesel conditioner added to fuel is good for injectors and lowering emissions in general.

1 hour ago, spartacus68 said:

Drive it and enjoy it. You're doing the right kind of mileage for a diesel. If anything the DPF will be fine, more likely an air intake sensor, or flexi pipe will fail. If you're worried, Forte diesel conditioner added to fuel is good for injectors and lowering emissions in general.

Thanks for the response Spartacus. How often should I change the oil and filters? Any suggestions on the brand of oil? I've also been told to use a premium diesel once ever 1500 to 2000km but not sure if this is just a myth. Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be prepared once the car is in my hands. 

9 hours ago, AceTravis said:

Thanks for the response Spartacus. How often should I change the oil and filters? Any suggestions on the brand of oil? I've also been told to use a premium diesel once ever 1500 to 2000km but not sure if this is just a myth. Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be prepared once the car is in my hands. 

I used to run a 1.6 TDI, and used Castrol Edge 5w30. You can check by entering registration on Castrol's site. If you're a member of Costco  then that's a good way to buy as it's not cheap. Filters, no need for genuine Skoda once outside warranty. I use Mann, which is OE anyway, just not branded. Oil and pollen filter every 10k miles or 12 months. Fuel filter every 20k miles. Ideally get VCDS to prime pump once changed. No need to touch glow plugs unless an issue with cold starting.

Regards premium diesel, don't see the point. If you want, then there's no harm. As mentioned, Forte diesel fuel conditioner straight into the tank does help, we're talking once a year maximum.

Edited by spartacus68

I service mine as below.

10k oil and filter.

20k, oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter. Pollen I'll just check and change if need be.

Only use VW/ Skoda parts as I got a duff fuel filter from MANN that leaked and then noticed around one of the outlets it was missing and extra layer of reinforcement that was on the original.

I have all the part numbers if you want for the above items.

Oil is use Quantum, 

I also took a screen shot of VAG Dpf of my car last night attached.

Screenshot_20200204-181817.jpg

Screenshot_20200205-075635.jpg

Screenshot_20200205-075411.jpg

Thanks @owilliams1 ! That’s a great reply and very helpful! Are your numbers in miles or kilometers?

Are you using the android VAG dpf app? There isn’t an alternative for iPhone is there? 

The part numbers could be useful if you don’t mind. How do you like the 1.4 TDI overall? 

Cheers mate 

Those numbers are KM, im on around 95k miles now.

Yes im using that app, not sure if there is an iphone version, i got paranoid in my last car a Superb about the DPF so i bough a Bluetooth and the app to check it was working ok.

Overall, it does it job well i find real, pleased with it. Yes its a 3 cylinder diesel so its not quite but what do you expect. Its a workhorse for me.

Averaging 60 mpg mixed driving, and thats not trying. Brim to brim calculations, the computer shows 69mpg.

Part numbers as below,

Fuel filter.6c0127400. I pre-fill the filter before i fit it back in the car.
Air filter. 6c0129620D. I use a little bit of soapy water to help but the air box back onto the far, it helps. and a drill with the right bit, to undo the box as there are about 16 screws to undo to get at the filter.
Oil filter.03l115561A. Its under the engine, pain. I would get an oil filter cup wrench tool, as the oil filter i took of originally was very tight.

Oil i use is, Quantum Longlife 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil 5 Litre Bottle. I suck the oil through the dipstick, 

So yeah i think it great, could do with a little more, grunt, for grin factor, but thats not why i bought it, so exception and all that.