New proposed ICE vehicles sales ban in UK from 2035

wyx087

4 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Have you got source on that regarding the national grid? 

The grid has enough infrastructure and supply to deal with off-peak EV charging for all. As pointed out in my link in OP. 

Vehicle 2 Grid (V2G) will help the grid greatly, both in preventing power cuts and lessening demand created by EV charging. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle-to-grid

Regarding tax, there can easily be ways to tax that will include EV's, here's few ideas for 2030: 

- per-mile tax (eg. 3p per mile, pay at MOT) 

- charging tax (eg. 100% tax for rapid charging, 20% tax for overnight charging, 0% tax for V2G) 

- first few years new-car tax (eg. £500 for ICE, £300 for PHEV, £200 for large battery, £100 for small battery) 

So if you plug in to V2G points and help the grid, you pay no tax for your service, 2p per mile assuming same rate as overnight charging, if you buy a ~200 miles car, you pay smallest amount of annual tax. This way, you can achieve 5p per mile (or 5.4p if using overnight charging) + £100 annual tax. 

Whereas if you buy PHEV (£300 annual), charge up only at rapid chargers (100% tax + 6p per mile), and use petrol (currently 14p per mile). Plus 3p per mile tax. A 50:50 elec-petrol ratio would mean cost you 16p per mile plus £300 annual tax. 

The key thing to remember is: 

With EV, government can levy a heavier tax at the start of car's life for those who can afford new cars. EV's get cleaner as they live: their lifetime per-mile emission decreases, the energy they use are always getting greener. 

With ICE, government can only target the poor who cannot afford newer cars, because older cars produce more emissions. Prime example is ULEZ. 

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-7353297/Surge-electric-car-sales-crash-National-Grid-2040.html

Just to be clear, I am all for the switch to EV's currently driving an Ioniq Premium SE Hybrid, and plan to switch to a Kona EV in a few years time.

Call me cynical, but I have seen so many government plans that state the following.

"We are going to do 'X' it will take five years and cost 'Y'

Rapidly followed by 'X' is now Yx2 over budget and will be finished in ten years.

1 hour ago, MoggyTech said:

For an article on power cuts, it only mentions the recent Friday London power cut. Everything else is pure speculation. 

Let's examine Ofgem report: 

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/136142

Electric Vehicles (EVs) currently represent a small but rapidly growing part of the transport market. Compared to internal combustion engine vehicles,

they offer significant benefits in reduced environmental and noise pollution. The cost of the batteries that power electric vehicles has fallen rapidly, meaning that EVs may soon be as cheap to consumers as conventional vehicles. Increasing use of EVs could have considerable implications for the energy system. Inflexible EV charging could add to peak electricity demand and require expensive network reinforcements. But flexible charging could enable cost-effective decarbonisation of the transport sector, by ensuring that our network is used in a smarter and more flexible way.

Of course everyone getting home at 6pm and start charging, then put on the kettle + oven will overload the grid, it's the sensational news media loves to spin. 

The National Grid have been told what the UK Government proposed back in 2017 and again now the 2035 date.

So they and the government need to do what they need to.   

If not possible 'The National Grid' Have a CEO that has a tongue in their head.

8 years back and when they had an idea what might be needing to get done.

Some right crackers of Secretary of State for Energy & Climate change, Or Energy & Clean Growth or Ministers since then.

Ed Miliband, Chris Huhne, Ed Davey, Amber Rudd, Claire Perry (now Claire O'Neill) Kwasi Kwartenga.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Yes it all looks marvellous,, and I hope it all turns out as planned. As a single country solution it's fine. However, as a global picture it's a drop in the ocean.

In the USA big oil have blocked charging grid attempts on several occasions. I guess we have to start somewhere, but I have only seen one BBC documentary that looked at the real climate change problem.

Global population, 7.7 billion and rising rapidly. IIRC the birth rate for sustainable resources needs to be 2.4 children per family. In certain countries the figure can be as high as 15 children per family.

IMHO the main stumbling block is going to be the USA. Petrol is dirt cheap even taking the fact their gallon is 20% less  than the imperial gallon. Donald doesn't know what day of the week it is and oil companies are, well, powerful.

I'm looking forward to getting my 300 mile range Kona Electric. I love electric cars, but they are still rather expensive despite having far fewer components than an ICE car. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/16/oil-industry-electric-car-1729429

Edited by MoggyTech
  • Like 1

Those that live in UK towns, cities, villages or just in the countryside and might not even have cars need their Government to be doing something, they can hardly expect others in others countries to care that much.

There is a Big Red Button or Launch Codes around the world that can change things before it gets to 2050.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Those that live in UK towns, cities, villages or just in the countryside and might not even have cars need their Government to be doing something, they can hardly expect others in others countries to care that much.

There is a Big Red Button or Launch Codes around the world that can change things before it gets to 2050.

Nail on the head mate, when the leader of the most powerful country on Earth rolls back changes Obama made, and doesn't even think climate change is real, well.

Can you charge an EV using the EMP pulse from a nuke?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest BigJase88

I might buy 2 new 2034 petrol engine cars and store them so i can keep driving with a real engine until i’m dead. Everybody driving milkfloats about and then the roar of a petrol engine and the smell. How cool will that be driving a petrol in 2050. Old skool as anything, big can out the back popping flames. Be a hero in the neighbourhood

Nations need to reduce the production of electricity by dirty polluting means. 

The USA being right up there.

Even if they did not go electric, being less wasteful with oil / gas and coal would be a start.

Population of China over 1.3 Billion.  USA under 330 Million.

Really does Donald Trump or others give a sh!t.  All about the money.

Something is happening. 

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

The ban on hybrid is said to be still 2035. The only thing that has been bought forward is ban on brand new pure ICE powered vehicles. This makes a LOT of sense: 

- most manufacturers have already moved to mild-hybrid now, banning sales of new cars in 10 years isn't going to affect many models. 

- EV isn't for everyone and won't be over next 10 years, so hybrid for a further few years while infrastructure catches up 

The biggest thing changing over next 10 years would be people's mindset. Around 2015, EV was seen as a toy. In 2017, second hand Leaf finished from leases were piling up, I got my one relatively cheaply. But from look of things, starting in 2020, we will see an accelerated shift in public opinion of EV's as motor journalists race to change their outdated tune.