1.4 tsi 60 reg, is it vvt engine?

I am considering using oil additives and the preferred one is Ametech RESTORE engine restorer. It is ok to use in all engines apart from VVT or VVTi engines according to the maker.

I have skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI 60 reg plate. How can I find out if it is VVT and if it is can you help suggesting any other oil addotive? Need to stop or limit oil getting to combustion chamber. Any other solutions? Thicker oil with higher velocity to slow the leak down? Any ideas or suggestions apart from getting new engine ? Cheers

The EA111 tsi 1.4 16v DOES indeed have VVT, I would avoid snake oil! Don't put the wrong oil in to avoid any damage to the cam chain/tensioner.

Check engine Breathers/valves as if the engine has excessive crankcase pressure it can blow oil past the valves and into the combusiton chamber

Thank you for that mate, I have just looked at my own post and I can see I have had 1 too many while posting. The engine is 1.8 tsi on skoda Octavia scout 4x4.  I have 2 skodas. So does 1.8 have VVT as well to your knowledge? Cheers 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, eyelash said:

Plus my mechanic says the oil gets to 1 cylinder only around the piston or so he said 

I'm afraid the generation 2 (circa 2008-2011 I think?) EA888 1.8 engine is known for oil burning issues due to the piston ring design and an oil additive will not fix this.

In the past when I've had piston ring issues (usually with a classic car which had previously been stored) I've done a wake up routine that involved and engine oil flush, check oil pickup strainer, replacement oil vent valves (PCV these days) as the gum up and then squirting a fair bit of plus gas down each bore and leaving overnight followed by pouring a bit of oil in each bore and spinning the engine with the plugs out, then change the oil/filter and just before replacing plugs and starting por a thimble full of petrol down each bore.

The one part of this that might be worth a try is the plus gas down each bore overnight with the plugs out followed by a bit of oil. The plus gas may (OR MAY NOT) get at where the piston rings are gummed up. After this procedure then change the oil as plus gas won't evaporate out of the oil. NB I've heard of other classic car people using diesel instead of plusgas for this!

Just a thought - but I repeat - I afraid an oil additive won't sort this - it's probably need an engine strip!