DSG auto questions

I've recently bought a 2015 Octavia estate with a 1.2 litre petrol engine and 7 speed DSG auto gearbox (no column mounted gear change paddles). 

I've been driving it around in auto mode and have put it in manual mode a few times by moving the stick to the left, but I've not so far investigated the D/S setting at the bottom when it's in auto mode.

Anyway, the display on the dash has always been showing me what gear it's in in the form 1, or 2 or 3 etc but suddenly it's now started to display D1, D2, or D3 etc and when I push the stick back it goes into Sport mode and shows S1, S2 etc. This makes perfect sense - S for sport and D for drive but I'm puzzled as to why my gear indicator on the dash now only shows what I've just described - not the numbers on their own as I've got used to seeing for three weeks since I bought it.

I don't know if I'm kidding myself but I think now it's changing gear at different engine speeds in both D and S modes compared to what I've been used to.

Could it have been in Eco mode when showing just the numbers? If so, how do I get back to Eco mode (and why doesn't it show E1, E2 etc?!) I tried looking on the menus on the main screen but can't find any way to put it in Eco mode. 

Does this make any sense to anyone!?

O.k your DSG is working exactly is it should, when you move the selector to the left the display will show 1,2,3 etc, when in D or Drive it will show D1,D2,D3 etc and when in S or Sport it will show S1,S2,S3 etc, when in sport mode the car will hold gears for longer to get better and quicker acceleration, and as you have found moving the selector to the left gives you manual control of the gearbox, There is no ECO mode as that is only a feature from 2017 onwards i believe. I have a 1.4 DSG and it does not have ECO mode.

The DSG gearbox will also "kickdown" like a conventional automatic gearbox.

1 minute ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

O.k your DSG is working exactly is it should, when you move the selector to the left the display will show 1,2,3 etc, when in D or Drive it will show D1,D2,D3 etc and when in S or Sport it will show S1,S2,S3 etc, when in sport mode the car will hold gears for longer to get better and quicker acceleration, and as you have found moving the selector to the left gives you manual control of the gearbox, There is no ECO mode as that is only a feature from 2017 onwards i believe. I have a 1.4 DSG and it does not have ECO mode.

The DSG gearbox will also "kickdown" like a conventional automatic gearbox.

I have a 2015 1.6 and that has an Eco mode.

But yes, E1, E2 etc for eco mode. D1, D2 etc for "normal" mode. S1, S2 etc for sport mode and just 1, 2, etc when in "manual" mode.

Thanks for that, but it doesn't explain why I've been seeing 1,2,3 etc when in auto mode. Maybe it's some electronic glitch which has been prompted to end by me accidentally pressing the stick back when in auto mode.

29 minutes ago, Murmansk said:

Thanks for that, but it doesn't explain why I've been seeing 1,2,3 etc when in auto mode. Maybe it's some electronic glitch which has been prompted to end by me accidentally pressing the stick back when in auto mode.

Not sure if you have a mode button on the 1.2tsi, it should be by the doors lock button if you have one.

If you don't have full modes all the DSG can do is switch the gearbox between Sport & Normal. It only shows numbers alone if you're in  manual 

6 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Not sure if you have a mode button on the 1.2tsi, it should be by the doors lock button if you have one.

If you don't have full modes all the DSG can do is switch the gearbox between Sport & Normal. It only shows numbers alone if you're in  manual 

I have the mode button, but all it does for me is switch the traction control and ESP on and off, has no bearing on my gearbox settings at all

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

I have the mode button, but all it does for me is switch the traction control and ESP on and off, has no bearing on my gearbox settings at all

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly, bottom right where your TC & ESP buttons are there would be a mode button.

Hence, with no mode button the DSG is all you can change between D, S & numbers

43 minutes ago, NikTheGeek said:

I have a 2015 1.6 and that has an Eco mode.

But yes, E1, E2 etc for eco mode. D1, D2 etc for "normal" mode. S1, S2 etc for sport mode and just 1, 2, etc when in "manual" mode.

Ahh the 1.6tdi  may be slightly different then in having ECO mode, my 1.4Tsi defo does not have ECO, as said in my above post all my mode button does is switch the traction control and ESP on or off

1 minute ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly, bottom right where your TC & ESP buttons are there would be a mode button.

Hence, with no mode button the DSG is all you can change between D, S & numbers

I knew what you was explaining as i have used it before on a VRS i test drove, but think on the 1.4 and 1.2 maybe they use the mode button differently as mine is not the only Octavia i've seen this happen on, and thought why would they do that.

1 minute ago, Murmansk said:

No mode button on mine, just forward of the stick I have central locking button and a stop/start cancel button - all the rest are blanks!

Strange i thought all specs on the MK3 had a mode button.

5 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Nope, IIRC the 1.0 & 1.2tsi didn't have the modes

Do you know which spec yours is S, SE, SE BUSINESS ect.

yep it's elagence spec, written in my signiture 

13 hours ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

yep it's elagence spec, written in my signiture 

Yep I had a 2014 1.4tsi one of those

13 hours ago, Murmansk said:

I'm the OP and mine is an SE

Hmmm must be the 1.2 SE doesn't get a mode button but, it's working as I'd expect

It maybe changing at different rev ranges now due to your differing driving style from when it was just in auto, Sport mode will always hold the revs longer/higher in each gear.  Manual will leave it upto you until it gets to the redline (accelerating) & will automatically change down too.

On 07/02/2020 at 21:25, Ju1ian1001 said:

Ahh the 1.6tdi  may be slightly different then in having ECO mode, my 1.4Tsi defo does not have ECO, as said in my above post all my mode button does is switch the traction control and ESP on or off

I have a 63 plate 1.4TSi DSG and I have Eco, D and S modes

5 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Tom Jones sang it.  #It is not unusual.

Put the shifter to the left, go into manual change and select, 1,2,3,4 buckle my shoe, 5,6 & 7.

Go to D and get D1,D2,D3 etc or go to S & get S1,S2 etc.   

Amazing what people eventually notice if they look.....

Yes indeed, I know, but what I had found, and nobody including your good self has addressed, is that for the first three weeks of owning the car I had 1,2,3 etc on the display even though I was in auto mode - now I have D1 etc and the 1,2 only appears in manual mode.

Heard that before.  Turns out usually that the stick was knocked left and the DSG was still changing up and down the box.

For Launch Starts without Launch Control i used to put DQ200's in Manual 1 hold on the hand brake and just boot it and force it to change until 4th then knock it across to D.

If all is good now i would be happy with that.   In 'S' all it does is hold the gears longer and there is only 6 gears in S apart from some DSG's....

Moving the shifter back to 'S' is good for slowing down on ice etc, if not shifting manually down the gears.