Buying a used '15 TSI RS Octavia

Wept

Hello all!

Just registered on this forum to ask for some real opinions with my little pickle I'm having.

I am currently on the lookout for a 2.0TSI RS with automatic transmission. I would like to point out I live in a country with quite high car prices, so these go anywhere from 16k to 25k € depending on the driven km's.

Main question really is, that will a 190,000km car '15 model be a reliable car for the next 2-3 years? Also what are the real key points to which I should pay attention during a testdrive?

The car costs ~19000€ so I am quite scared of chipping that money into a car that could be a complete bombshell, but I can't justify paying 2500-3000€ more for about 50,000km less driven car. Also the next question is budget as I would want to stay under 20k€.

I currently drive a '05 Fabia and am sick of constantly fixing it up. The Fabia has clocked 207,000km so in my mind I am thinking will these km amounts mean that there will be as much repairs needed on the Octavia.

I did a test-drive on one car that has clocked 235,000km and it behaved itself quite nicely and had really no sign of high mileage.

Also I could add, that the dealer I would be buying this car from has a 12 month extended warranty that would cover most issues if anything was to happen.

In a nutshell:

- Is it worth buying a 190,000km Octavia RS or skip immediately?

- Keypoints to be on the lookout for when doing a test-drive?

Any and all help appreciated!

At that kind of mileage it is going to depend on how well it was serviced through its life.   

You really need to look at service book (or if electronic get a full history printout)

If it was properly maintained then no reason why cant do another 50,000 km (which takes it to equivalent of 150,000 miles) without major problems, of course some parts are going to be worn and could potentially need replacing.   But if servicing was skimped, (stretched beyond max service intervals) then some parts could be more worn, and thus more likely to fail.  

In simple terms, take a slightly higher mileage car with full (never late) servicing over one that might have stretched servicing intervals.   If someone can't be bothered to service it on time, probably skimped on replacing items as well.

I would do quick visual inspection, are all 4 tyres same good type (cheapskates put budget tyres on, one at a time), lift each corner, does it bounce (worn shock absorbers, or suspension problems), check electrical gadgets (don't be afraid to move mirrors or wind rear windows, they should work), get someone to stand behind with sheet of kitchen paper behind exhaust, blip throttle for 5 seconds, is it showing signs of soot etc.  Only then do the test drive, and if possible get your friend to drive a short distance whilst sitting in back (can hear things you might miss sitting up front)

If you are offered an extended warranty, check it carefully for mileage limits or exclusions

Edited by SurreyJohn

Is waterpump and timing belt changed already? If not change interval is reached in 20,000km (my waterpump failed at 170k)... Replacing waterpump and timing belt cost me 700€ (Finland)..

If not changed i would try bargain that change cost from car price or change before buying for free etc.

3 hours ago, Wept said:

The car costs ~19000€

In a nutshell:

- Is it worth buying a 190,000km Octavia RS or skip immediately?

- Keypoints to be on the lookout for when doing a test-drive?

Any and all help appreciated!

19000 Euro for a five year old car that has covered 190,000km ?  Which country do you live in

( for us Brits, that's £16k for a 5 year old car that's covered almost 120,000 miles. )

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

At that kind of mileage it is going to depend on how well it was serviced through its life.   

You really need to look at service book (or if electronic get a full history printout)

If it was properly maintained then no reason why cant do another 50,000 km (which takes it to equivalent of 150,000 miles) without major problems, of course some parts are going to be worn and could potentially need replacing.   But if servicing was skimped, (stretched beyond max service intervals) then some parts could be more worn, and thus more likely to fail.  

In simple terms, take a slightly higher mileage car with full (never late) servicing over one that might have stretched servicing intervals.   If someone can't be bothered to service it on time, probably skimped on replacing items as well.

I would do quick visual inspection, are all 4 tyres same good type (cheapskates put budget tyres on, one at a time), lift each corner, does it bounce (worn shock absorbers, or suspension problems), check electrical gadgets (don't be afraid to move mirrors or wind rear windows, they should work), get someone to stand behind with sheet of kitchen paper behind exhaust, blip throttle for 5 seconds, is it showing signs of soot etc.  Only then do the test drive, and if possible get your friend to drive a short distance whilst sitting in back (can hear things you might miss sitting up front)

If you are offered an extended warranty, check it carefully for mileage limits or exclusions

Thank you for your input! Will be driving over the weekend to check the car out so nice to know what to look out for.

Will have to see what the situation with the belt is, I know that DSG oils were changed 10,000km ago, so hopefully the belt was done at the same time..

The price is high, but it’s due to the taxation here in Finland where car prices are crazy anyway. A new RS goes for around 45-50k€, so this is pretty much half price.

2 minutes ago, Wept said:

Yes :)

It seems to be serviced in time, even earlier than needed. I’m assuming that service interval is 30k/1 year. 

2019-03-18 172582 km

2018-04-16 149951 km

2017-10-06 128845 km

2017-01-30 100113 km

2016-06-16 74571 km

2015-11-02 51053 km

2015-02-26 25272 km

2014-12-19 18281 km

2014-07-18 4km

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wept said:

Thanks for the info! Not a big deal for me.

I think I am rather sceptical at this point towards the car, but I will go and check it out anyways and also take a look at a diesel variant whilst there.

Without seeing car it looks nice and price is not that bad.

I would get 4x4 version, because it’s enjoyable during winter (even with all season tyres 😉), but if RS is must and under 20k€ then it may not been option 😕

1 hour ago, Superhero572 said:

Without seeing car it looks nice and price is not that bad.

I would get 4x4 version, because it’s enjoyable during winter (even with all season tyres 😉), but if RS is must and under 20k€ then it may not been option 😕

I will have to definitely see and try to get the price down some more.

There is a 4x4 1.8TSI for sale right now with 150,000km for about the same money, but I don't know if with current winters the 4x4 is so much needed here in the south anymore 😞

I will post my findings on the weekend after I get a chance to drive it. Hope to get a few more opinions in the mean time as every bit of info is very welcome!

• Like 1

Okay so I am now an owner of a TSI RS!

Ended up pushing my budget up by about 4000€ to get a car with just 103,000km and in really good condition.

The car with 190,000km was an OK experience, but there was something going on with either the DSG or engine. When fired from cold, it did a weird noise and actually stalled on the first lights completely! After that, during idle, the rpm kept jumping and the car was really ”bouncy” as well. Could’ve been just that it hasn’t been driven in a while, but I decided to play it safe.

Really happy with it and actually got some nice additions such as Webasto and towing hook with the car!

D707BFAC-1747-4912-8EE5-5F21BF0AC4FC.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/02/2020 at 10:57, Superhero572 said:

Is waterpump and timing belt changed already? If not change interval is reached in 20,000km (my waterpump failed at 170k)... Replacing waterpump and timing belt cost me 700€ (Finland)..

If not changed i would try bargain that change cost from car price or change before buying for free etc.

2.0TSi has a timing chain not a belt, and being a Gen 3 tsi then the earlier design flaws should of been ironed out (See MK2 octavia forum for TSi problems) as for the water pump again does not have the same problem as the TDI does as is not driven from an aux belt or timing  chain, it's driven of the end of a balance shaft shaft by a small belt.

With the DSG box, on a VRS it will be the DQ250 wet clutch six speed and will need a DSG oil and filter change every 64,000km, they can go wrong if this is skipped.

Edited by Ju1ian1001
  • Like 1