Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI weird noise from fuel filter ?? when idling.

Kirky

Car has developed this noise which only occurs when engine is idle at 800rpm. Very annoying, as it can be heard inside car when stood at lights or in traffic. Checked under bonnet and I can't hear the noise there. Sounds to be coming from underneath car, just in front of offside rear wheel. Having listened underneath car, it does seem to be coming from around where the fuel filter is housed. Any ideas, anyone ..?

Link to noise 

9 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Fuel pump?

I complained about mine but was told it was fine, they all make that noise.

Cheap solution is to turn the radio up?

That's the solution I'm currently using.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi

There is a "Fuel Feed Unit" in the petrol tank, which appears to combine a level sender, mesh filter and low pressure electric fuel pump.  It's likely the noise is coming from this pump, but shouldn't be audible.  New ones are about £75.  I presume they are accessed from above, i.e. inside the car.  If you take out the rear seats  you may be able to get your ear close and confirm this is the source of the noise.  When the engine is idling and using only a tiny amount of fuel, most of the flow from this pump will go to the engine and then back to the tank via a second pipe.

Thanks Austin 7, 

I have had the rear seats up & my ear on the floor & can confirm this does seem to be the likely source of the noise. The floor lining under the rear seats feels like it will be a bugger to lift up though to gain access. 

Thanks very much for your advice.

On 12/02/2020 at 18:01, muddyjim said:

I can hear the pump start when I open the drivers door on mine, before I even get in, but it's barely audible.

This has been mentioned here before and confirmed as 'normal, possibly priming'.  I can't hear it when I'm in, anyway, and lose interest.  Anyone remember when/who? 

• Thanks 1

Being able to hear the fuel pump priming with the engine off as you open the drivers door is normal.

Being able to hear it with the engine running, whilst sat in the driver's seat is not.

As mentioned these complaints do crop up from time-to-time, I wonder if the pump gets noisier as it wears / gets older, or has developed a fault?

On 17/02/2020 at 23:22, muddyjim said:

Yes I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere. I'm sure it is normal. I wonder if the OP can hear it on opening the door, and how loud it is?

Yes, it is noticeable when I open the door, but more so with door closed. Noise seems to reverberate through the car , kind of like a chirping sound. 

Pretty sure it can't be normal. Also pretty sure it is coming from fuel sender unit under rear seats.

From listening to your recording, it's not a normal noise. A normal pump makes a very gentle hum whilst priming which is only audible with the engine not running. Suspect something is loose or worn inside the pump.  It won't affect mpg, that is determined by the engine management and where and how you drive.  Adjusting idle speed is pointless.  Best solution is to replace the faulty pump.