Tyre fitter damaged an alloy...

Confused_Cheese

So took it back, they told me its normal and they've been doing it for years... no other way of doing it etc. Never noticed this on any other wheel I've had a tyre changed on 🤔 Not sure whether to put a complaint in. Anyone else ever had this done?

Had a quote from a local firm of £55+VAT to take off the tyre, dip to take it back to alloy, repair, powder coat, refit tyre and balance. That seems pretty reasonable to me? I have a few scuffs from the previous owner on other wheels, so tempted to get them all done and maybe change the colour a bit.

We bought a used Fabia and looking back at the service history I could see the dealer replaced two front tyres before selling the car to us. It had only covered 16K miles so I doubt anyone else would have removed wheel weights...they made an absolute mess of the inside rim of both front alloys, yours looks 'cleaner' in comparison...

Anyway...no it's not normal and they are absolute fktards if they think it's acceptable to use a metallic tool or similar to remove the weights.  Of course it's going to scratch, what else is going to happen?!?!  

I've never taken my car to anywhere that doesn't do what AG has said above, a quick spray of solvent and then clean the residue off.  No sign of the weight being in situ.  

Are the offending tyre fitters going to give you the £55 or have they basically washed their hands of it? 

7 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Are the offending tyre fitters going to give you the £55 or have they basically washed their hands of it?

The branch itself (of national) were adamant its normal and expected. I've put in a written complaint with photos, so waiting to hear back now. I won't be using them again, that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, Confused_Cheese said:

The branch itself (of national) were adamant its normal and expected. I've put in a written complaint with photos, so waiting to hear back now. I won't be using them again, that's for sure.

Methinks some straff training is in order.  I'd be livid if someone done that to my alloys.  No different to them taking a screwdriver and having a scratch of the cars bodywork too. 

Edited by penguin17

On 14/02/2020 at 10:34, Confused_Cheese said:

National once left oily marks all over my car seat and inner door pillar trim (on a light grey interior too). After emailing customer services they agreed without argument to pay for the car to be valeted. I just had to send them the receipt.

I had a call from their regional manager, very apologetic. They offered to pay for that wheel to be refurbished... so going to get them all done. Just need to settle on a colour now 🤔 Anyone have any recommendations for a cappuccino beige fabia?

fab.png.d2b4c4d76252aef47c3af7aee576704d.png

Edited by Confused_Cheese
  • Like 1

Tricky, the car and alloy are such a similar colour. 

Depends how bold you want to be. 

Initial thoughts would be a dark grey/titanium. Black is a bit naff in my opinion. White could look awesome but need cleaning. The bold choice!

Edited by Shaunieboy

I’d stick with Brilliant silver or perhaps a more ‘subtle’ shade of bronze? (Some can look more like gold, and that’s only acceptable on a Clio Williams😃

e,g; 

92ECF199-567A-478D-A1B0-A5C1D93E5E78.png

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1